HybridZ

Help! No parking lights

This is why I tried to post a DIY that never got posted, I believe the admins decided they didn't like it? Are you sure your switch is in the ON position?

Yep i turn headlights on and nothing just the headlights, at first i forgot to put the parking light fuse back in, so i put it back on and still nothing, do i need that green and white wire on there or it's not necessary? because i just cut it off maybe that's it? is it possible that it is a ground wire for parking lights?

,thanks

Sounds like your switch might be corroded/faulty. Try this link for a rebuild how-to. Pretty simple and only takes about 25 minutes.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17688

You can also install the parking light relay from zcarparts.com if it solves your problem and you want to extend the life of your newly rebuilt switch. I ended up using just fine 000 steel wool for cleaning the contact points and switching them so I had fresh unpitted contact points for both the parking light and headlight position. Works great now.

Edited by T-Bone028
forgot link

Hmmmm. Doesn't sound like a factory switch. Made in China???

I'm guessing the wires and plugs all matched up ok?

Not sure if the 260 switches are the same as a 280 (your's is a '78 280 according to your sig). You might want to verify with someone if the 260's are different.

I know alot of the stuff for a '74 260 might work for a 75-76 280, but alot of stuff for the 77-78's aren't interchangeable with even the 75-76's... let alone a '74.

Just a though...

So still no parking lights when trying to activate through the column switch? I know the parking light circuit has like 16 lights on it. Front turn signals, front marker lights, rear marker lights, tail lights, dash lights..etc.

IF all of those lights "flash" when you activate your alarm, but your switch doesnt turn them on, I would begin by taking a look at your old switch for a reference point. From the driver seat the contact points/terminals on the left should be the one's to look at (on your original switch, not sure what the 74 switch looks like), then follow the wires from those two terminals leading to the rest of your harness.

Hope you can find your gremlin.

i got it for 39 bucks with free shipping...its a 260 switch and it mounts funky

I'm betting the "new switch" you got off eBay is either the wrong switch for your application, or simply not good. $39 for a new one including shipping sounds fishy. A new switch should cost well over $100 plus shipping.

I had the same problem on my '77. Get a good switch made for your car. Even though the 280Z's appear to be the same, there are some differences in parts.

As you mentioned all your lights work from your alarm, and to agree with T-Bone, it sounds like your light circuit is fine (power, ground and fuse). Something is funky with your switch. If you can't fix your original switch, I'd get a good used one that is from the SAME year as your car ('77 and '78 are the same). :nono:

Leftover, I think he said he has a 71 240Z.

AallenIII, The link below will help you easily rebuild your original switch.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=17688

Even if your original switch is not faulty, rebuilding it only takes 20-25 minutes and doesnt require anything other than some steel wool, fine sandpaper, or anything really to shine up the old contact points. I just think its something that will help you familiarize yourself with the operation of the switch and column stalk.

As far as connections, I would venture a guess that your alarm is powered off of your parking light circuit based on your observation when you activate your alarm. I would look for a cut/exposed/corroded wire somewhere between your alarm and your comboswitch.

Another idea, ff your 240z is somewhat stock, check out your fuse panel...this area is notorious for melting due to the high current going through it for the parking lights.

Post results if you find it! Good luck!