HybridZ

Pete, Your Mirrors....

Guest Frank280z

Guest Frank280z

Did you figure out how you are going to mount the Tercel mirrors? Just curious. I might go that route if it doesn't require any major alterations. Frank

------------------

Build it. Drive it. Improve it.

Guest dankinzle

Hey, speaking of those flush mount mirrors, I was at a small nissan meet this past weekend, and a guy with a beautiful 240z had a pair on his, and I originally thought maybe he'd figured out the whole tercel thing. Turns out he liked staying with nissan stuff and used (I think the year is right) 84 ZX mirrors. They looked pretty good too. Said all he had to do was rivet the mirrors in. I forget exactly the details, but he said a guy at motorsport told him the setup.

Just in case any of you hadn't heard of this already,

Long

------------------

'75 V8 280z which is too slow.

Okay - now I'm REAL interested! 84 300ZX mirrors? That would be cool especially if it's the same setup as the MotorSport catalog has. I like their setup but the cost has always turned me off - I figure it's factory something and maybe the 84ZX is it? These allow adjustment from inside the car? Hrm, waitasec - I'd have to fill the holes I've got now and paint the mounting area - doh!

Currently my present mirrors look like crap. I need to come up with something nicer as these have turned flat black and a bit chalky. This is the previous owner's setup and while it's not as bad as say the stock stainless mirrors it could use some improvement. What works well, looks decent, and can coveruse the stock holes? I seem to recall Mike Kelly having a neat set of mirrors - Mike where did you get them? I might try having mine painted but I think I could do better. The "Rally" stuff at Pep Boys is kinda' what I'm trying to avoid :-)

OOh, I want to hear if anyone manages to test fit a set of these. I need new mirrors badly (I've sold mine!) and the motorsports price has really scared me. $159 is a bit much...

Going to try to find some 84 mirrors, will be tough around here though.

------------------

"THE STREETS WILL FLOW WITH THE OIL OF THE NON-BELIEVERS"

Drax240z

1972 240z - L28TURBO transplant on the way!

http://members.xoom.com/r_lewis/datsun.html

Guest dankinzle

I went through the pics my friend took of the show and it looks like I was right-- 1984 300zx mirrors.

sp_nissan_show1531.JPG

Too bad we didn't get any pictures of the actual mirrors (darn guy standing in front of the camera!)

Long

------------------

'75 V8 280z which is too slow.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I was asking around about the MSA kit, and I thought they were off of a 300ZX as well, the side mounted flush kit. But it turns out that they are from a sentra smile.gif Yes a sentra. I was suprised as well. I'm looking at all the side view mirrors out there to find a good one for the flush ones, pete hurry and do your conversion so you can teach all of us smile.gif

zya

Yuichi

Zdriver.com

• 1 month later...
Guest Todd Bystrom

I've seen one 240 with the 84-90 300 mirrors. It was riveted to the window frame, and somehow along the bottom edge, also, but not sure if that was to the door edge molding or to the actual door (maybe the molding was trimmed).

I used 84 corvette mirrors on mine, stole the idea from that Hot Rod mag write-up on the V8 Z. The lines of the mirror don't match perfect with the lines of the Z, the windshield angle being different than the upward slope of the mirror body, but it still looks really good, imho. Fairly easy to mount and I think it covered the stock mirror mount holes, at least I don't remember having to weld them.

I think even better would be 90+ 300 mirrors, and I think the same are used on 240sx?

Probably the same mounting issues as the 84-90 mirrors, but a sleeker design. I think if you got dual power mirrors, it would be easier to route the wiring than to find a way to adjust the manuals from inside the car.

Guest Anonymous

I have purchased a set of Mitsubishi 3000GT mirrors for my Z. I decided to stick with a door mounted mirror because I didn't want to go with something riveted to the window frame. Personal preference only.

The 3000GT mirrors are nice and big. The are mounted, or bolted, from outside the door and will need a good threaded plate on the back side of the door skin to spread the load and add stability. They will work pretty much in the same spot that stock mirrors are mounted but the angle is a bit off.

SO, I used fiberglass to make a mold of the angle of the door. Then I used the little plastic base that goes between the mirror and the door skin to get the angle right. I put a shim between the plastic and the fiberglass to correct the angle of the mirror. Then filled the area between the fiberglass and plastic with epoxy.

I still have to use some body filler to smooth my new mounting bases and then paint them. Then the mirrors can be mounted AFTER I work out the wiring smile.gif

I know that was long and I can take some pics to make it clearer. The mirrors should give me the ability to "glance-and-go" on the interstate smile.gif

Craig

Guest Anonymous

The expensive mirrors MSA sells are nissan mirrors from something. My car had them when I got it. They came in nissan boxes the guy said. They're not 300zx mirrors and not power either. They work nicely and look pretty good I think, but the passenger side mirror is very convex, more so than any other car I've seen. They don't vibrate much at all and look pretty decent. picture of them:

front3qtr.jpg

------------------

Morgan

http://z31.com/~morgan/s30

http://carfiche.com