HybridZ

Ford/ Mazda engine codes.

jasper

Hey guys. I'm playing with the neighbors 2002 Mazda tribute. 3.0 liter DOHC 4V v6 .Codes p0354,355,356. "COIL ISUUES" I pulled the front bank cover and disconnected all the coils..No change!!!!

There is no way 3 coils ♥♥♥♥ at the same time. I'm scanning the internet for help. Ignition switch was mentioned, among TSB"S for plugs,coils and PCMs

Any help would be great , it's in the 20's out side............Thanks......Tommy

i used to be a ford dealer tech.those are cylinder misfire codes.we used to replace the boots on the coils -if you look sometimes you can see pinholes where there was arcing to ground.or i have seen oil leaking into the spark plug wells and causing a short.i used to use a piece of fuel line to start the plugs-do not touch the plugs.i dont know if you have a mazda or a ford engine-but if you can try to just buy the boots if you can.when we used to tune up the 4.6v8 and 5.4 v8 we installed new boots when we did plugs-this prevented a comeback.basically everything needs to be clean and dry.

I vaguely remember something about that - I believe there was a TSB out for multiple cylinder misfires like that. But a general cylinder misfire would be something like p0301 - p0306; I believe your codes are more of an indication of circuitry malfunction. I don't know if you'll have any luck searching the net, but IIRC, the TSB wanted you to change the factory plugs, coils, and you could be looking at possible damage to the PCM, in which that would require replacement as well ( definitely not cheap, either). My cousin had this same thing happen to his Escape, and he ended up needing the PCM replaced (after replacing plugs/coils). I believe his was an '02 as well. I no longer work at the dealership, so I don't have access to the Ford repair manuals, but I'm sure you could find something on the net.

The good news is that all of these things are relatively easy, labor-wise, if you're planning on doing it yourself. To get to the coils/plugs in the rear of the engine, just pop the intake manny off. I could have them off under 10 minutes, easy (well, with air tools) so it's not that big of a deal. And the PCM is right in front of you in the middle of the firewall, again, if my memory serves correct. I'm not sure how many miles you have, but with it being an '02, I'm assuming that the date/mileage has probably exceeded the warranty for the PCM, which is either 8yrs/80,000 miles, or 10/100,000. Most likely, since you're receiving MIL codes from several different cylinders, I would be prepared for a new PCM. You may get lucky...but don't get your hopes up that it's a cheap little fix. Either way, good luck.

Thanks for the replies.The front bank is dead, no pulses to the coils from the pcm. Ran fine when parked, failed on start up. I found the TSB about the pcm etc. I'm betting the PCM is the main culprit.

I told the neighbor he was looking at about $1000.00 in parts, plus My labor, and a tow to the dealer for pcm/key programing.

This is one reason I DD a 1992 190e 2.6. Very simple, very cheap to operate.

I'm waiting to see what the neighbor does,......poor guy.

Edited by jasper
spelling

I'm a mazda master tech, In the early tribute the wiring at the pcm would break in the wiring sleeve. It is very hard to see the break because the wires are still intact. The wiring would break in the wiring insulation. What i do is pull of the black cover that covers the wiring at the pcm and gently pull on the wires on the right side of the pcm as you were facing the pcm in the car. I can't remember the wire colors. I bet you can find the wiring diagram on the web. Find the wires going to the coils and injectors and check them ast the pcm. I have seen tons of these tributes with this problem. I hope this helps

Thanks for the info.

I find it very unlikely that I would loose the entire bank at the same time. That would mean at least 3 wires failed simultaneously!! (1 for each cylinder).

Have you seen this happen??? I'm still thinking internal pcm failure?????

The truck is still in his driveway. Too cold for me to play with outside.

Thanks for the info.

I find it very unlikely that I would loose the entire bank at the same time. That would mean at least 3 wires failed simultaneously!! (1 for each cylinder).

Have you seen this happen??? I'm still thinking internal pcm failure?????

The truck is still in his driveway. Too cold for me to play with outside.

Yes, I have seen one bank fail. Check the wiring before you replace the pcm. At the dealer I work at I have only seen a few pcm's go bad. I have been there for 15 years.

Thanks again. You've convinced me to look/check there first.

This kind of reinforces the reasoning behind having you car serviced at a reputable dealer. There is no replacement for someone who is FAMILIAR with your car. (see "dealers suck" thread)