HybridZ

Rusted frame rails

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have been looking for a project car for a long time. Z,s are getting hard to find, I either find a car thats already done, ( atleast to their standards ) or one thats too far gone. I did find a 72 thats been sitting up for a few years. Its a complete car, auto with air.The problem is rust rust rust! The body is not that bad, but both frame rails are rusted. Should I keep looking or can this be repaired to give the stengh needed for a V8. The rust is where the frame rails meet the floor, about a 6-8 inch area.Is there a company that makes patch panels for this? If I do it myself what thickness metal should I use? Is there a way to reinforce the rails while im at it? I can get the car for $250 bucks

------------------

Coming from one who has repaired a very rusty Z, I'd say keep looking and consider importing one from a SW US area if you can.

My car didn't look too bad from the outside when I started, but OH MAN! when I opened the hidden areas up, did I get a surprise!

All rust can be repaired, but the cost in labor (your's or their's) gets really out of hand, in my experience.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the advice. Im just really anxious to get started. All the work is done in my mind now I am ready to see some results. I guess spending a day to go get a better car would be worth it. Do you or anyone know where a decent body is? I dont care about drivetrain,int,etc just the body. Thanks again for the advice. P.S. Are you the guy that sells the 5 lug conversion and brake upgrades? If so I will definitey be doing buisness with you in the future.

------------------

Follow pete's advice on this one, find the best, most rust free car you can. It will save you money, frustration and time in the long run.

------------------

"Gimme Fuel,

Gimme Fire,

Gimme that which I desire"

-Metallica

Drax240z

1972 240z - L28TURBO transplant on the way!

http://members.xoom.com/r_lewis/datsun.html

http://members.home.net/drax77/newpage.html

Guest Anonymous

I bought my car from Scott Bruning of Z therapy when he was in CA. I saw pictures of critical areas and had several phone conversations with Scott about the car. I sent a check he put the car on a truck and had it shipped to NC. (About 850 5 yrs ago) Car was media blasted and there was very minimal rust on the car. Mostly surface rust on the frame rails. Look long and hard for the right car. Your project will come together much quicker if you don't have to cut out rust and remaunfacture the underside of the car. Maybe we can find some hybrid members in the southwest area who could locate some solid shells. Mark

Ditto. The first car I started with had some rust, it needed some paint... in the end the bodyshop bill was $5K and likely to go up once they started work. For $6K I found a car that had a MUCH nicer interior, didn't need paint (it does have some rust - next year I'll fix it!), and had a good drivetrain in it so I could enjoy the car till I was ready to pull parts.

PLEASE do not make the mistake I did! Mikelly has my old car and hopefully more energy and time than I had. There's nothing worse than getting into a project liek that and not being able to finish it. Swapping in the motor and trans is enough work - don't set yourself up for the bodywork too - it'll break you.