HybridZ

Eliminating those side vents...

DavyZ

Here's one for a few of you that have done this:

Is there any consequence to eliminating the round side (B-pillar?) vents on the 240Z?

I live in a typically warm, dry climate and have seen Terry Oxandale and a few others glass over or weld shut those holes. My car will spend most of its time on the street. Thanks guys! smile.gif

David

I don't know if you've driven a car with a vent like a Zcar, That you have to pull open? When you open it with the windows shut, very little air comes in, but if you crack open the window, it will blow in. So that's what that vent hole does, it eliminates the need to crack open the window. Which is nice when it's raining, or you don't want your hair messed up.

------------------

http://members.tripod.com/~SnowSurfer/mikekz1.html

Guest Anonymous

I have considered this also. I guess it could also affect how easily the doors shut when all the windows are up, too. Funny thing. When I replaced all of the seals on my car with Nissan rubber, I suddenly found that it took a considerable amount of force to get my door to closed when the windows were up. Windows down; no problem.

If you do the mod, let us know the effects.

I am trying to get some custom badges made for that b-pillar location. The stock badges are what made me want to close it up. My proposed badges will consist of CNC billet aluminum, possibly stainless smile.gif, that will be just a "raised" circle with a channel cut in the back for the air flow. It will also have a "Z" cut into the metal that can be filled with paint. I don't have it in my hands yet but am told it is being worked on. I can only hope!

Craig

quote:

Originally posted by Mike kZ:

I don't know if you've driven a car with a vent like a Zcar, That you have to pull open? When you open it with the windows shut, very little air comes in, but if you crack open the window, it will blow in. So that's what that vent hole does, it eliminates the need to crack open the window. Which is nice when it's raining, or you don't want your hair messed up.

Mike kZ, yes I have a '74 260Z now with the same kind of vents (I shoulda made that clear from the get go) and was hoping to smooth the body at some point--no badges, no drip rail, no vent on b-pillar, etc.

Thanks for answering the question, though, I knew it was there for a reason, but wasn't too sure exactly what it did. Now I must rethink what to do with it...

Craig, it sounds like you have a nice idea and all, but since I'm such a cheapie, it makes sense to leave that part alone or eliminate it. I'll ponder it some more then decide. If I do the mod (and I may) I post what the results were.

DOH! Sorry, but the caffeine just kicked in and so has my brain: DUH! I'll duct tape the holes closed and make notes as to what the difference is in comfort, etc, and then decide what to do! I amaze myself sometimes...

David (the sleep deprived caffeine addict)