HybridZ

rb20det head differences

stprasinz

ok guys as the title says. Is there a difference in the 2 variations of the rb20det... one has red top ome silver... I have the early "red top" with the eccs ecu. The only info I can find(I have searched, and searched, and some more searching) Heck Ive tried searching images to see if I can see a difference in the intake runners... I have found nothing!!!! I want to put some forged pistons into it, stainless header, cam gears, a big turbo, etc. But if I got a head that won't flow jack..... Whats the point ay.... Also Will an aftermarket intake fit onto this? Please let me know, maybe post some pics of the heads(intake runner, as in with the intake off just a photo... I'm wondering if its gonna be worth forged with 500cc injectors and megasquirt fired off the crank or just worth a pile of scrap???

thanking you in advance

I know nics is a pain in the butt. I have both a red top and a silver top. The silver top is in my car and the red top is used for making my pans. If I were you I would junk the red top and go with the silver top. The ports in the head are alot smaller and the heads don't interchange.

oh wow, the heads don't interchange.. Didn't expect that, all the head gaskets Ive seen were for "rb20det" no specific year etc, same with head gaskets....

I meant all the "nissan complete gasket kits, and head gaskets were all for rb20's... Sorry for miswording

The NICS is a 12 runner system, at low revs, onlyone set of runners (6) opens, as your foot goes down, the other six open, much like primary and secondaries on carbs. It's an early attempt at variable intake tracts. The head surface where it meets the block is the same, using the same head gasket, but everything from the head face upwards is different.

Ok, but can someone post pictures of a eccs type head runners?

Can I port this head and still flow good hp?

I know about the runner and fuel injection system being different, can I just put an aftermarket intake on it? And I'm going megasquirt if I use it so the fuel injection system doesn't matter either.

I can not find any rock solid inof, to sway either way... I notived these are very small runners when I popped the intake off....

for the NICS, you'd need a custom made intake, no-one makes an aftermarket DET intake for the NICS, just for the ECCS RB20DET since they are far more common. Frankly, I would just find an ECCS RB20 head, I have a RB20DE head in the shed now, but shipping to the US is simply not economical, I looked into that for someone else who wanted my head :P cheaper to find a RB20DE/T ECCS head local to you.

yeah, thats what I'm thinking... but after looking, this head could be made to flow... thing is, I get the head to flow, then I am stuck makeing the intake flow.... I might be able to port, and polish... but air tight aluminum welds??? And I don't truse any local shops around here... Only one actual "welding machine shop" in my area, and he didn't know if he could have been able to weld on my aluminum intake when I asked him... So makeing one I would think would be out of his league..... Yeah pretty ironic, a metal fabrication shop that doesn't know if it can weld aluminum? yeah I'm sure he's top notch right...

Cheapo arc welder on food grade stainless connecting to high carbon steel base plate, with mild steel rods... not the neatest or most air tight of fixes... My first try at sealing was to PAINT the whole join with RTV liquid gasket... didn't work, so I did the plumbers braze trick, that sealed the leak :D After all, if they can fix water pipes dry and leak free, they should be able to manage airtight or they wouldn't be in a business where they can cause leaks in homes :D