HybridZ

Finally made it to the dyno!

Well, finally got it done. I ended up with 397ft#'s and 324hp at the wheels. We were so close to getting 400ftlbs!

Here is a short video, unfortunately it's the only one, that and I was the only that was able to film, and run the car, so my video options were limited... This is a run done about half way through tuning, 4th gear...

Cheers

Ryan~

I have followed your building of the gauge cups!! I can't begin to say how impressed I was with your attention to detail on that project!!!!! I am at that stage with my car and I have my eyes on the Ultra lite gauges from Auto Meter. Any chance you've gone semi commercial with the gauge cups? Has the white material been used at this point? If no on both of those last two...Any suggestions as to how to make the installation a success? Going with Three electrical 2 & 5/8...and the 5'' in the speedo/tach spots.

thanks

Lane

I started with a standard 350, bored and stroked it to 383ish, forged and balanced, light steel flywheel and balancer, dished pistons, hydraulic roller cam set up for forced induction(turbo in the future, maybe), vortec heads lightly massaged with relieved spring seats with heavy springs, gasket matched to a dual plane intake, with a 750 Proform to top it off. Also, the trans is a T56, and I am using the stock rear end(R200) and running 265/50R15 tires(Remingtons! hell ya! lol).

A couple things to note; I was getting a heat soaking issue with the carb since it sits directly atop the manifold, when I shut off the engine, so I have a 1/2" composite spacer on the way for that, mainly to give some insulation. My exhaust is a little small, being only 2-1/4" to the diff, which is the old exhaust that I originally had for the mild 327. The exhaust starts with some 1-3/4" block huggers(new for this engine) that dump into the dual 2-1/4" pipes (old system) that run to the diff, then Y into a single 3-1/2" (was that big for a Flowmaster single chamber I had run a long time ago, had horrible resonance! It would literally make my teeth hurt), and finally through a 3" Magnaflow muffler.

Cheers

Ryan~

I am running Rewarder headers. The quality seems to be really good, nothing has flaked off, they have really thick flanges, and they weren't priced to bad either. I believe they stick out from the block a bit more than the usual 1-5/8 because of the larger primary diameters. I will try and get a measurement from off the side of the head/block to the outside of the bends on the header.

I can't really help you out on the other two as my car no longer has a stock rack, nor JTR mounts. I made my own motor mounts, but the engine is in the JTR position, for the most part(in hindsight the engine needs go to the passenger side almost 1/2inch, but it's to late now). I also have made a new steering shaft to clear the headers, but I have installed a Subaru power steering rack, so that complicated my steering shaft since the pinion for the rack comes out in a different area.

Here is part of my steering shaft and the header clearance.

new004.jpg

This is kind of a fuzzy shot of the steering/clearance in regards to the header.

new002.jpg

Cheers

Ryan~

Ryan: I also have the Subaru Power Steering Rack but have not installed it yet. The reason is I am concerned about feedback from the steering when racing. Yet at low speeds the manual steering effort goes way up.

As for the headers, if you would please photo from the cylinder head to the outer most part of the primary tubes with tape measure and pass this measurement along. Have built a strong SBC 383 and want to get the most out of it.

For your steering, please send some feedback as to how if feels at higher speeds. Thanks VERY MUCH for the photos.

I haven't gotten the lines fabricated for the power steering at the moment, so for the time being I am just running the rack with no power assist, which is kind of a drag, heh...

As for the headers, it looks like the distance is 4-1/4 inches, give or take a bit. My header gaskets are also quite thick, like 3/16"!

clearance.jpg

When/if you order from Rewarder they will give you an option of how big you want the collector flange to be, and weather you want it in steel or ceramic coated. I think they also had a stainless set available for some more $$$.

But ya, hope that helps.

Cheers

Ryan~