HybridZ

Has anyone ever heard of "Datsun Spirit" in VA?

No, I actually bought this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/76-280Z-2-2-Fuel-Injected-Rebuilt-Engine-Full-Financing-/130433042490?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item1e5e6a483a

Long story short I know I overpaid for it, but the car has sentimental value. It was the first car my dad owned when I was born. When he sold that car for a down payment on my parents house when my mom was pregnant was the first time I saw him cry. He passed a few years ago but I always told him I was going to buy his car back for him. I did a little research and found that his hit the scrap yard years ago. Tends to happen with 280s that grew old in Michigan with salt on the roads.

This one is in really good condition. The guy had it stripped and repainted a few years ago. Only has 5,000 miles on the rebuilt engine. Minimal things wrong. A couple small leaks (i.e. its been in my garage for over a week and nothing on the floor yet), the filler tube is a little loose, and the boot around the shifter has a small hole in it letting heat and some exhaust into the vehicle. Thats it. I can't be happier. Will probably get the little things fixed over the next few months, stick some speakers in the kick panels and drive it a couple times a week.

In regards to shops in Northern VA. Autoexpectations that you mentioned is out there, and so is a shop called CreationZ, also in Sterling/Dulles. There is also a VERY recognized shop in Md called Bonzai Motorworks...havent been there though.

My experiences with Autoexpectations and CreationZ are as follows. Autoexpectations, nice guy. The owner was a co-owner of Datsun Dynamics. We chatted for a while, and although they are familiar with Z's and Nissans/Datsuns, I might not go there again. I took in a driveshaft that needed new u-joints pressed in and when I got it back, they were pressed in...but he did not grease them and the u-joint was not pressed in evenly which was causing binding. I ended up greasing it myself and had to take it to a friend of mine to get it "adjusted" (one solid whack with a Big F****** Hammer).

Creationz...former tech at Datsun Dynamics, and again a really nice guy. Has a lot of parts in his shop but good luck getting a hold of him though. I have no complaints about my experience with them (4 u-joints pressed into 2 halfshafts, $50 per joint). Definitely a smaller operation though. I would stop by there again if I needed work that I couldnt do myself.

Topperge, If you want a hand with anything feel free to PM me. I'm in Centreville/Chantilly.

I am actually going to get my struts sectioned at Creation Z. As I do have access to a welder, but would want someone who has done this before to do this. (Not me)

Has anyone else in the Northern VA/MD got their struts sectioned by a shop? Otherwise, I will let everyone know how it goes at Creation Z.

I took in a driveshaft that needed new u-joints pressed in and when I got it back, they were pressed in...but he did not grease them and the u-joint was not pressed in evenly which was causing binding. I ended up greasing it myself and had to take it to a friend of mine to get it "adjusted" (one solid whack with a Big F****** Hammer).

U-joints for Datsuns are not pressed in, well you CAN press them in, but then you bend the ears. The proper way to replace U-joints in a Z is with a big effing hammer.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...