HybridZ

Hood Scoop suggestions

Peternell

I’m in the middle of my 74 260 swap that was originally intended to be a drag car only, but I figured I could tone it down a little and enjoy it on the street too.

So, now I’m looking for suggestions on hood scoop options. These don’t necessarily have to be on a Z car yet, just your ideas and remember-at this point no idea is a bad idea. When submitting suggestions please consider the following:

I’m a Chevy man first, GM fan second;

The big 3 made some cool scoops in the 60’s and early 70’s;

Scoop must actually increase clearance;

Noticeable is fine obnoxious is out;

Different is GOOD;

I intend to modify my (nearly perfect) existing hood rather than purchase a finished hood (remember the different is good theory);

Please post ideas and photos or links to photos or e-mail your photos directly to me at ldpelp@yahoo.com

Thanks

Guest Fast Frog

peternell:

Check out my car in the feature car section. I've got an 84 300ZX turbo scoop on my hood. I had it offset cause I had a turbo and the scoop was placed there for the fresh air intake. When I went V8, I left it on cause it looked a little "meaner" than with a hood and no scoop. You can see that the scoop is fairly small. I really didn't want a big scoop.

Guest Anonymous

i know you said your a chevy fan but i would have to say a nice noticable but not overly exuberent hood scoop would be the ones they used on 'cuda and challenger R/Ts. they look kinda of like ...well... here see for your self at www.martelbros.com/up/barracuda.htm#BR-102

and they are number BR-102. i personally think these are some of the meanst scoops made and they are what i plan on running on my 280zx's hood. JMHO smile.gif

You could take a 2 inch cowl like and modify the front to look like the 67 427 hood with out the spear in the middle... similar to the ZL-1 camaro the GM race shop did a couple of years back.... just a thought... I am staying with a simple 2 inch cowl hood its easy....

------------------

Remember it is only a piece of metal.

Guest Drewz

Sorry to tell ya but the 2" cowl will not give you any extra clearance in the middle. I had a four on my Z last year and it only gave me about????? an inch if I remember right. I ditched the scoop and cut a hole.

------------------

The only stupid question is one you wanted to ask but never did!!!

http://ca.photos.yahoo.com/andrewzcars

Drewz