HybridZ

Clay bar results

p-factor

If you've never used a clay bar on your paint before, may I strongly suggest that you consider it. I just did it for the first time and I'm very pleased with the results. You can't tell from a distance, but close up it really takes away the blemishes. I've seen it used on brand new paint before with no visible impurities and it makes the paint smooth as glass (or better!) Just spray on some quick detailer and rub it down with the clay. It takes a little bit of elbow grease but our cars are small enough you could do the whole car in a short amount of time.

I took some macro shots before and after to compare. The car was just washed before these pictures were taken.

Before:

IMG_7096.jpg

After:

IMG_7097.jpg

and before:

IMG_7098.jpg

and after:

IMG_7100.jpg

I second this. Claying a car does do wonders to the car's surface.

Only thing I've found is that by claying the car, you take away everything on the surface (hold on don't panic yet)

It cleans out the dirt, road grime, embedded crap and leaves the clear coat clean and exposed.

Be sure to start the detail or sealing process from here or else you'll end up with worse paint than before further down the line (no protection i.e. wax, sealant etc.)

There's a sealant I've been using on my cars, don't remember the name right now but it comes in a tin can and its supposed to be a sealant for car paint, you have to let it 'cure' in the sun. You can add wax or artificial wax ontop of that and it looks great.

It's called Liquid Glass has a picture of an old corvette on it

Edited by Marine1342
Remembered it

I agree that Clay bars are really good at removing contaminates from the paint and makes a really smooth finish but the only downfall is that on black cars you have to be careful becuase the crap the clay bar will pick up will scratch the finish unless you fold the bar every once in a while.Plus you really should wax or buff the car after a good clay barring.Just sayin.I do it everytime I wash and detail quite frankly.

Guest skimattybee

i agree, i worked at lexus for 2 years, buffing and detailing, clay barring should be the first of many steps , especially on a dark color, make sure to wash the surface well before claying, and at the least you should buff with light course foam pad, with swirl remover, and then apply a good wax by hand, with a light color such as white, silver or tan, it shouldnt be a big deal to just wax, because you wont be able to see any scratches