HybridZ

Pilots/Aviation nuts? sound off!

p-factor

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty crappy work rules, plus wages far below average for that type of company/flying. (even industry average is still a far cry from where it should be) Spirit pilots are PROPOSING a starting First Officer salary of about $32,000 a year and increases to match, or within 10% of other carriers like Jet Blue. Company still thinks that's too unreasonable apparently. So off to the picket lines they went. If I remember correctly, it was voted something of 98% FOR a strike within the pilot group.

Good luck to them. Its nice to see the industry rallying around these guys. Pretty much every other US airline has announced that they will help any Spirit pilots with jumpseats that might be stranded. The hope is that this strike might help some other pilot groups who have pending contract negotiations.

thats the one reason I decided to go for ATC vs the pilot route anymore.. the pay. I have friends at Great Lakes Airlines that make $16 an hour but 75 hours a month.. so thats $1,300 before income taxes!!

There are a lot of crappy jobs out there, and most of them are considered stepping stones to better jobs. I avoided the regionals for that very reason, and I've been very lucky with my career so far. There *are* good pilot jobs out there but the aviation industry is very cyclical and we're in a trough right now, but things are looking up!

All y'all: If you really, really want to be a pilot, do it. It's not easy, it's not for everyone, it's hard on a relationship, but it's also very rewarding and can be a damn fine way to make a living.

That is all.