HybridZ

body work (mostly dings?)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

hi guys, im going to get my car painted black.

befor ei do though, i was going ot try and make the body as straight as possible. there are some slight dings in the fenders. not deep dings, but more like a shallow, big radiused (er, yeah) ding. how do i get those out and my car dingliss and dentless? do i tak ethe panels off and push them out? thanks,

mike

ps. i dont know how many physics ppl are on the board, but i was thinking of something.... kidn of like extra credit for my physics class....an electro magnet strong enough to pull a car dent? it woudl have to be mounted on the ground then when turned off it woudl just pop it right out. assuming the magnetic surface was the size of a penny. what do u think? mike

Hmm, black can be a bit of a pain as far as bodywork goes.

As for the electromagnet... I can't see it working too well. Remember that the furthur out you get fromt he source of the magnetic field, the weaker the field becomes. The spot you would want to 'pull' would be at the bottom of the indentation, which would be furthur away from the outer ring of the dent. I think the result may just be causing another circular dent pulled out, around the interior dent.

However, electro magnets can be a lot of fun. I made a gauss cannon in highschool that worked pretty well. I used a few torus shaped electromagnet to accelerate a steel rod in the center of the torus.

I'd recommend the project to learn from, but I am not sure it will work on your car that well.

------------------

"Nothing is fool proof to a sufficiently talented fool."

Richard Lewis - 1972 240z, Powered by a Nissan 2.8L Turbo Inline 6.

Drax240's Turbo Site

Beginners Turbo FAQ & Answers

the body shops are using a kit that spot welds a little pull rod to body .then you have a little slide hammer that comes with kit and pull out dent.when pull rod is bent sideways it breaks off of body and it takes very little grinding to remove the spot weld that is left.i have seen 50 or so of these welded to a car .after that you shoot some grey primer on and spatter it with black spray piant and long board sand it.if black is not done right it will show every dent you forgot.take pictures of car with rings spray painted around dents before starting work.

Guest Anonymous

Nah, magnet won't work, but it would look high tech! Problem is, dings stretch metal. Only way to fix is to shrink metal.

Depending on where they are and how much stretch is in them, one of those paintless dent remover places may be able to work the dent out. I've seen them do smaller dings and the guys that are good at it show good results.

Ok, dent is to big for that? Sometimes a specialty welder is used, it welds a small rod on the car which is pulled out ground off and then small amount of filler is used.

I've seen someone use a torch and wet rag to shrink metal and everytime I've tried that (not on cars) I ended up warping things worse, best left to someone with the touch for it.

If you require filler, remember get the base metal as flat as possible and as little filler as possible and block sand it. Mistake many make is removing to much bondo which leaves a super noticable crater. Just enough to get it flat, and no more.

Oh well, Bodywork 101, I'm sure there are some better body and fender guys on here that can lend more or better tips.

Lone

Guest Drewz

The tool mentioned in the earlier post is called a unispotter. It tack welds small copper looking rods to the damaged area and with a slide hammer that has the proper adapter on it you simply and slowly "pull" the dent out. I own one of these gizmo's and it is the cats azz wink.gif. Also to hide minor imperfections you can use a couple of well block sanded coats of high solids primer.

------------------

The only stupid question is one you wanted to ask but never did!!!

http://ca.photos.yahoo.com/andrewzcars

Drewz

Like Drew was saying, If your dings are shallow you might be able to shoot a couple of coats of surface primer, (It's a build up type of primer),then spray a guide coat, (contrasting color to you primer),and block sand with a long board. If you use a black guide coat on a grey primer and you see dark patches, those are low spots. If you see those you need to prime,guide coat, and block sand again until it's flat. I painted my car black, and it took months to get it straight! Be prepared.

------------------

http://members.tripod.com/~SnowSurfer/mikekz1.html

I like Lone's idea of the "paintless" dent removal. The day before I quit the dealership, I had Dent Erasers take every door ding (and more) out of the Q45. The guy did an excellent job and even made mild (but long) crease dents disappear! There were at least 12 ding/dents on the car and it cost me an insider price of $200. Totally worth it IMO. When I buy a 240 roller, I will do that over bondo any day of the week!

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, my bro had it done on his 95 300zx TT, it was a black car and they were really noticable. After they finished, it looked like new. (that was a damn awesome car to drive, wish I could have talked him into chipping and upgrading the exhaust. To bad he got rid of it.)

Lone

• 5 years later...
the body shops are using a kit that spot welds a little pull rod to body .then you have a little slide hammer that comes with kit and pull out dent.when pull rod is bent sideways it breaks off of body and it takes very little grinding to remove the spot weld that is left.i have seen 50 or so of these welded to a car .after that you shoot some grey primer on and spatter it with black spray piant and long board sand it.if black is not done right it will show every dent you forgot.take pictures of car with rings spray painted around dents before starting work.

3M Dry Guide Coat with their little disc applicator is a better choice than black paint.

It doesn't gum up sandpaper and is well worth the money