HybridZ

Wipers keep falling off!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Is there a more secure way to attach wiper blades to the arms? Most "kits" now come with a plastic hook that snaps on to the wiper arm, then the blade snaps on to that. I seem to recall some older styles that used a pin and circlip or something similar, all made of steel. Advice, parts, suppliers please! Thanks.

This is a most curious situation, because I have never had a wiper keep falling off before. By wiper, I'm assuming you mean the replaceable wiper blade, right? All the aftermarket ones I've tried, fit. The OEM Nissan ones are the best. Could it be that it's either the way you are trying to attach them (common mistake) or that your wiper arms are worn out and you need replacements? Give some more info!

David

Guest Anonymous

OK, here's the problem - wiper arm to splined shaft, no problem; wiper arm to plastic hook thingey, no problem; wiper blade "frame" to plastic hook thingey, BIG problem; wiper blade frame to wiper blade, no problem. It's that one connection where the plastic hook holds the peg that's on the wiper blade frame. Two problems with this set-up (IMO) - one, it snaps in instead of bolt/rivet into a hole, and two, it's plastic. Straighten me out....

John,

It's gonna be hard for anyone to diagnose such a problem unless they have your parts in front of them.

I can attest; your problem you're having gave me some trouble also. I've never had to rpl wiper arms on a Z until earlier this year; wipers were worn out & leaving streaks-even w/new blade inserts. So I bought universal arm assemblies w/their universal clips; there were about 4 different possible clips in each package.

I read the "Cheap Asian to English" directions for an hour & still couldnt figure out the crummy instructions. Everytime I installed the assembly like I thought the instructions said-the assemblies would fall off when turning the wipers on. I also decided to drill/tap new holds on my wiper arms to be used w/the screws of my choice.

After all is said & done; I fugred out that the univeral kit didnt have the correct size pin for my arms. Whan I went to an Auto Zone that I deal w/& know some of the guys-I told them I needed a longer pin. They reached under their counter-pulled a metal tool box out which had dozens of wiper arm/blades & clips w/different size pins; he told me to take the pins I needed. Once I got these pins everything worked out fine.

Check w/a local Auto Zone or Pep Boys for assistance. I've had plenty of auto mechanics & dont consider myself an idiot; but, I'll admit the aftermarker instructions for those universal arms are not the easiest to understand nor are their kits always complete. Once you figure it out-the connection is a strong one & the pins will snap in to the arm/and stay till you remove them!

Hope this helps.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, that's it! Four "universal" mountings that don't work! Guess I shoulda bought a '78 Universal instead of the Z? Anyway, on to AZ or some such to get it fixed and make it STAY fixed. Thanks!