HybridZ

Source for fiberglass

Guest Locutus

Guest Locutus

I am restoring my boat and I was wondering if you guys can tell me where to source larger quantities of glass and resin than they sell in autoparts stores. I am going to need at least 2.5 gallons of resin according to a friend who repairs boats for a living. He didn't say how much mat to use but I will ask before I buy. I have to replace all the wood in the floor and part of the transom so less expensive source would greatly reduce some of my costs in this project.

Mike

Back 8 years, when I had my Toy p/u, I was making a bed cover for it and paid a friend to get the materials from a place he use to work so we could lay the glass over the aluminum frame I made. Some friend, he screwed me, but thats beside the point. After this, I had problems finding anyone that would sell one of the chemicals needed. There is a certain chemical that is used for fiberglass that is also a main component of the drug "speed" icon_eek.gif and most places won't sell it to you because of this. I don't recall the name of it, but it was needed for my project as I was told. Was I just getting BS'ed by the Laser boat company?

Guest Anonymous

Locutus, Look up either Fiberglass or composites in the yellow pages. I just bought some stuff to build speaker pods for my other vehicle at a fiberglass shop and it's extremely inexpensive. I was quoted about 4 bucks a yard for mat (not fabric, that's a bit more) Depends what you're doing though really. Resin is 30 or so a gallon depending on quality and assuming you're using polyester resin which for a boat is what you'll probably want anyway instead of epoxy. Assuming you're in a decent sized city (didn't look where you're at before posting) you shouldn't have a problem.

As for the illegal thing I can't think of anything with Polyester resin that you'd use in speed. The catalyst is Methyl Ethyl Ketone Peroxide which is very hazardous to your health. Unless of course they're using that for the Meth part of Methamphetamine I guess that could be it. But I didn't have any problem buying it for catalyst.

There are some chemicals that are pretty hazardous that are used in making drugs. They don't actually GO into the drugs but are part of the process. I read up on this at work one day while bored but my memory has faded, was a pretty interesting and detailed report though icon_smile.gif Really interesting when a spark goes the wrong place and a drug lab goes BOOM! Unless you were looking for 50gal drums I'm surprised they were so reluctant. Maybe they thought you were small time? icon_smile.gif

Guest Anonymous

The Gov. has a pretty tight lid on controlled chemicals, obviously there are many ways to manufacturer meth, but usually from what I know about it, its like solvents and stuff that are used (I didn't do well in chem class, I was to busy studying horticulture on my own), the tip-off is usually like was said, its bought in 55 gal. drums. Also, the drug lab will be in a unpopulated area because it stinks something terrible(this is all from Hardcore biker friends mind you, I've got no first hand experience with a drug lab..) I don't think you'll have a problem getting resin though, do a search on Fiberglass in your search engines you'll find lots of sources for it.

Regards,

Lone

Ps: I guess a guy could always cut the meth with some ground fiberglass that would really make a druggies day.. icon_smile.gif

Locutus,

I have built boats with epoxy and glass resin over wood. For a wooden boat don't bother with the polyester resin.It does'nt bond with the wood. All the current wooden composit boat builders use epoxy resins they are a superior product.

Lookup www.woodenboat.com or pickup a copy of WoodenBoat at the bookstore. There are several manufactures of epoxy resins designed for boat building.

Hope this helps, Tom