HybridZ

V8Z's in Michigan

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Is anyone on the list from Michigan? I would really love to see a V8Z live and in person. I am in the mid michigan area, but drive all over the place. If anyone is interested in showing off, I can supply a healthy amount of "ooohs" and "aaahhs".

Hi Mike - I'm just North of Detroit in Rochester Hills. Not only do I have a SBC in my car but it's got a GTO body on it, (check out the "Featured Cars" section on this site).

I'd love to show it to you. Are you coming down for the Woodward Dream Cruise?

It's the largest one day automotive event in the world. Last year's cruise saw more than 1.4 million enthusiasts viewing more than 45,000 classic vehicles! http://www.wxyzcars.com/cars/wdc2001/ or the offical site http://www.dreamcruise.org/

I'm entered in the Ferndale car show which is held on East Nine Mile Road. Stop by if you can. icon_smile.gif

Guest Anonymous

Speed. Awesome car! Did you do that yourself? Where did you get that body? I would love to see this car up close and personal. Maybe in a few weeks I can arrange a trip down there. You could take me for a ride, and I could buy lunch.

Mike,

Welcome to the Forum. There are a few of us from the Great Lakes State that frequent this board. I'd have to say we've two very noticeable V8 Z's around these parts.

First is Mr. Goodman's Ferrari GTO replicar. I've yet to personally see his ride (shame on me, and I used to live only 15 miles away), but if the car looks half as good as the pictures show... it can't be anything short of remarkable.

Second is the legendary "Jim Biondo" V8 Z. Jim can be a hard person to catch, and he doesn't visit this board. But none the less, a very nice example of a V8 Z. He's got some bucks wrapped up in that project. The motor alone... icon_eek.gif

As for local "board" members, let's see. Well, there's me, ScottieMiz, TimZ and I seem to remember one or two guys on the left coast of the state that have chimed in here a few times. Of these members, I think Speedy and I are the only ones with V8 conversions. Both Tim and Scott have turbo motors. In fact, if you ask nice, Tim might even let you come over and eat dinner off his engine (it's THAT clean icon_eek.gif ) As for my engine... well, you could "look" at it while eating... maybe...

Personally, I've been chasing down transmission demons all summer. It's drivable, but I'm real reluctant to go more than a dozen miles or so. I'll lose about a quart of transmission fluid after about 20 miles of very easy driving. I can still show it, if you would like to see it. I live in Dearborn about 1 mile from the Ford World Headquarters (I can see the building from my living room window). If that's a little too far to go, I'll be taking my Z up to my Dad's house just outside of Lapeer in a few weeks to start yanking the transmission. I think Scott said he wanted to come down and check it out as well. During a typical summer, I would have racked up well over 5000 miles on my Z. This summer, I think I've logged maybe 50 icon_sad.gif The outside still looks somewhat nice though. I've had to yank the motor three times this year, so that could use a little detailing, but it's all still there.

Let me know if you want to stop by.

-Andy

P.S. I've got a web site with a bunch of my pictures on it. Also, go to the "Quarter Mile Times" section of the page and look for Scottie(Miz, not GNZ... two different people) link. There are a few pictures of him on there. Links are all below in my sig.

Hi again Mike - yeah I built almost all of it myself except I had one of the guys in the Kit Car club help with the body. The body was a real mess and took hundreds of hours to fix. The kit came from Joe Alphabet but Ferrari put him out of business. These days you can pick up the body from Jeff Krekeler at Stable Autoworks http://www.zcarkits.com/ or Tom McBurnie at Thunder Ranch http://www.thunderranch.com/gto1.htm

I'll have the car over at the Meadow Brook Concours d'Elegance tomorrow (Aug. 5th). http://www.mbhconcours.org/ Of course it's not invited but they have club parking and we will be in VIP Parking Lot #2. The club is GTSCA if you stop by.

Anytime you are headed down this way please let me know. I'd love to show you the car and take you for a ride. icon_biggrin.gif

Andy is right - if you get a chance to check out Jim Biondo's car you should jump on it. It's really an amazing one of a kind Z. His ride has been in quite a few magazines.

Hey Andy, are you planning on attending the Woodward Dream Cruise? icon_eek.gif

Don't know about the dream cruise this year. I'd really like to go, but it's just not the same without my Z. I might shine up the Impala and take her out there, but I'll miss the; overheating, leaking valve covers onto hot exhaust, loud exhaust, bolt rattling idle, and down right strange looks that I got while cruising in the Z. Not to mention that extra "confidence" factor that the Impala is lacking. I told myself I'd get the 700R4 fixed in the Datsun by cruise time, but I've bigger problems with more important vehicles (mainly, the WIFE's car icon_rolleyes.gif ).

I will most likely be down there in the Impala. The Michigan SS club usually gets some premium parking spots and non-club members usually only have to ante up $10 - $20 for a day. I remember hearing the Detroit Area Z car club wanting to get a spot somewhere, but that was a while ago and I haven't heard anything since. Keep in touch, I'd like to meet up with you some time.

-Andy