HybridZ

need all window glass

RPMS

The previous owner of my car stored it next to a caustic chemical tank, and as a result, all the glass is etched. It looks like there are water spots all over it, and they can't be removed with any kind of cleaner, solvent, or abrasive technique I've tried.

Since junkyard glass is so cheap, I thought I'd try that route before investing in brand new glass. So... What interchanges? Are all Z windshields the same? Obviously, the side glass of 2+2 models is different, but I can't tell about the rear hatch glass.

And I'm going to get the Precision weatherstripping kit, which allegedly has all the window seals in it. Has anyone put in their own glass? How difficult a task is that? The service manual makes it sound very easy, but it's difficult to trust a book that starts off some jobs with "Step one: Remove engine. Step two..." Oh sure, no problem...

Scott, I agree with you on the manuals that say "oh, just do this," and then tell you to do the reverse to button it up. Details are lacking sometimes. The Precision is cheaper than Nismo, but some guys in the forum have a difficult time closing their doors. As far as the window weatherstrip--that should be ok from what I have gathered. I wish you well and hope others will chime in. I've never replaced glass, but the pros make it look so easy, I'm almost willing to give it a shot.

David

I used the complete Precision kit on my car and it all worked great except I had a difficult time closing their doors. I have since found out that many people had this problem. Switched the door weatherstrip over to Nissan and all was OK.

The glass is really easy to install if you know what you are doing however I wouldn't bother. Guardian Glass here quoted me $106.84 for a tinted windshield - and that was installed at my house!!! SOLD

The rear glass is a different story. They wanted $614 so I opted for a perfect one out of the junk yard and the same guy from Guardian Glass came back and installed it for $50. icon_eek.gif

SIX HUNDRED DOLLARS?!? Holy cow! I think if that was my only alternative, I'd duct-tape trash bags over my window openings! icon_wink.gif

But a little over a hundred isn't bad at all for brand new front glass. I don't think I've ever owned a car with perfect glass up front. It's likely to be a revelation when it finally occurs!

Originally posted by SpeedRacer:

Guardian Glass here quoted me $106.84 for a tinted windshield - and that was installed at my house!!! SOLD

Guardian Glass came back and installed it for $50.

$106 installed? when was that? I just paid $150, tinted installed at my house. Plus $70 for the back. That was the cheapest I could find. Most wanted close to $200 and above!

icon_eek.gif

Mine was pretty cheap too for the windshield. Old glass might be tougher to handle and pitted to - I'd go new on the windshield (okay, I DID go new). The difference was night and day!

Side quarter windows shouldn't be bad and on E-Bay they usually ship with chrome etc still attached (I've got spares!), door windows I'd wait on until you had the new glass and were ready to swap as there's a bunch of parts in there.

Heh, sounds like the hatch in my rafters w/glass is going to be there for awhile if rear glass is as expensive as that. Ouch! seriously, it's a shame you're not closer...

If front glass is that cheap, I think I might just get a new windshield and settle for used on the sides and back.

So does anyone know if the back glass in the coupe and 2+2 is the same?