HybridZ

240Z and 280Z stub axle spline diameter

Danno74Z

I need a little information on the different stub axle diameters of 240Z vs the 280. My car is an early 260Z model and it HAS 27 splines. A little unusual as I thought it would have the 25 splines like the 240Z. Anyway I know there is a difference in spline count 25 vs. 27 but what is the SPLINE diameter of the 280Z stub axle? Not the bearing surface.

If someone knows a link please share it as I'm sure this has been measured. I measured my axle and the spline area is 27.75mm

Thank you,

Danno74Z

if you have the 27 splines then you already have the 280z stubs. my early 74 small bumper z also came with the 280z 27 splines from the factory. in some cases, people have got half and half from the factory and one side 25 and the other 27. in my case, this sounds stupid but true, it came with 27 on both and has 240z strut housing on right and 280z housing on left. all original. lol. took me a whole month to figure out why one side hangs lower while on jacks.

My early 260z also came with the 27 spline axles. I discovered this after I went through the exercise of removing a set of 280z stubs at the wrecking yard with hand tools. Everything else was 240z suspension.

lol, i did the same thing. i beat the hell out of this clean 77 at pick n pull and can not get the damn nut off. i took the whole strut housing with control arms off and beat it for hours with limited tools. failed! and thought, you know what, i better go home and take mine off first. i started counting the splines and found i wasted my time at pick n pull and already had the 27's all along.

Well I guess I kinda did the same thing. Yesterday, I went out to the shop and FORGOT I had an extra set of stub axles which I bought YEARS ago. (I really need to have a yard sale). I was digging around looking for something else and found this box (what the hell is in this box) and saw two axles, great. I thought they were from a 280Z because that was what the salvage yard said. As it turns out they must be from a 240Z because the spline area is a lot smaller then the 280. I did not count the splines or measure but now I can see the difference (I will do that today). Both fasteners on the axles are the same diameter but the splines are different.

Had I remembered I had this spare set I could of answered my own question!!!!! THANKS....

Danno