HybridZ

What did YOU forget?

RPMS

Just wanted to share the joy a bit with my web-friends!

This weekend, I really got busy with my bodywork. I spent most of Saturday going over the entire car with a borrowed D/A sander, smoothing out any deep scratches, chips, or cracks in the paint in preparation for priming it next weekend. After I went over it the first time, I stood back and re-evaluated my work and decided that it was stupid to go through all that work and not remove the window glass before painting. So I pulled out the windshield and back hatch glass, exposing a bit of rust along the top edge and bottom corners of the windscreen, but nothing too traumatic.

Let me tell ya - nothing in my work so far has been as fulfilling as this. Nothing has given me the sense that I'm making progress like punching out the glass. It LOOKS like a project car now! Even welding up the floorpans wasn't quite this exciting. There are four colors of paint/primer showing on the body, the chrome trim is all but gone, lights are dangling from their wires (someone hard-spliced the front marker lights icon_mad.gif ) and there's very little left to do before painting. I'm pleased beyond all reason, to tell you the truth! And I'm a little afraid that I've forgotten something, but I don't know what... Hopefully, that's my natural insecurity talking. Anyway, if anyone has any helpful hints for me at this stage, bring 'em on! What did YOU forget to do right before you painted?

[ June 04, 2001: Message edited by: RPMS ]

Scott, are you going to put in new glass or just use the old glass? If you replace weatherstrip, many members of this forum will tell you that geniuine Nismo parts are the way to go. Although everyone is open to new and cheaper sources!

[ June 04, 2001: Message edited by: DavyZ ]

I've got to go with the Precision kit for weatherstripping. I've heard that they have modified the door seals so they close better, and I have yet to hear any complaints about their window glass rubber. I'll put up with a lot to save so much over the cost of Nissan rubber, but I may end up buying NISMO door rubber sometime in the future, if the Precision parts give me fits.

...and was the "wear gloves" comment about not leaving oily fingerprints on the primer, or protecting your skin????

Scott

Guest dankinzle

Protecting my hands. I think it took about a week and a half for all the por15 to clear from my hands, and it's till growing out on my fingernails...heh.

Guest Anonymous

haha... I think it was reference to him still wearing black paint on his hands... (he was going to hide in a dark alley and not date as I recall).. icon_smile.gif

Regards,

Lone

Ahhh, beat me to the post... by 3 minutes..

[ June 05, 2001: Message edited by: lonehdrider ]

I've got Precision's kit myself. The back glass seal was thinner than the NISMO one which then exposed a previous paint color (grr). You won't have that trouble. They had trouble geting the chrome in too. Front glass was more of the same but unless you know to look it's not a big deal. I've got their door seals, they work better than what I had and I can slam them if I must. Rear hatch seal sucked and had to be trimmed in several places and still flops around in some. I'm gluing it down as best I can - it's pretty wimpy. The rest is in a bag - I bought it for another car that I then got rid of and am just using what I need right now...

For the price th ePrecision stuff isn't too bad but DO go straight to them and NOT through MSA or VB who mark it WAY up even when it's on "sale" icon_mad.gif

Guest KraZ4spd

If your car is almost a shell... you may as well take off the fenders and make sure you kill all the rust in there "YOU WILL FIND SOME".

I was thinking about doing that, just to make sure I didn't miss any spots. I'm doing a color change from silver to black, so if I manage to overlook a spot deep in some recess, it'll stand out like a sore thumb.

Speaking of removing fenders, when I was poking around in the junkyard last weekend, I noticed that 280's had plastic fender guards inside the fenders. Are those transferrable to my 260?