HybridZ

clutch swap stuff

Delasangre4231

So I am just about ready to swap the tranny and clutch on my 84 300zx turbo but I have a few more questions. I'm seeing some vague instructions on pressing the new throwout bearing onto this sleeve? Also something about packing something with grease. What is this sleeve in the clutch housing? Can I just tap the throw out bearing on or what? Some pictures and personal experience would be great. Thanks!

They are talking about removing the old throwout bearing from the throwout collar and pressing the new bearing onto the collar. You can do this with a vice if you are careful not to compress the new bearing too hard.

The bearing is sealed so you do not pack that with grease. They are most likely talking about putting grease inside the throwout collar prior to mounting it on the input shaft.

How are the instructions vague? Do you not have an FSM or Hayne's manual? Here is a link to download a manual for the z31 ZX: http://carfiche.com/manuals023/cars/ If it says TnA, just come back later as stated on the website.

So the throwout bearing just sits on the end of the collar? Just put it between a vice and maybe a few blocks of wood and squeeze? That would mean the clutch fork goes behind the throw out bearing and the bearing and collar rides the input shaft as one part?

I do have the manuals, I guess its just the FSM that's odd, crappy pix. So in the picture in the haynes manual, whats the little knob on the collar? Does it need to be orientated specifically when re-installing?

So the throwout bearing just sits on the end of the collar? Just put it between a vice and maybe a few blocks of wood and squeeze? That would mean the clutch fork goes behind the throw out bearing and the bearing and collar rides the input shaft as one part?

You got it sparky. First you have to get the old bearing off unless you bought a new collar. The new bearing is pressed onto the end of the collar. It will all make sense when you see the old setup once you drop the tranny. Make sure you not which end of the bearing rests against the pressure plate fingers. The bearing and collar are one unit that slides on the input shaft. The collar has two little tabs towards the bottom where you attach a clip/spring. Do not lose the spring/clip if you did not buy a new collar. The fork slides under the tabs on the collar. The spring/clip is affixed to the collar and it has two arms that will slide onto the back of the fork.

So in the picture in the haynes manual, whats the little knob on the collar? Does it need to be orientated specifically when re-installing?

If you are talking about the little knobs that circle the collar right below the bearing, then no, there is no specific orientation that the tabs must be in (as far as I know).

When you drop the tranny take time to look at the fork/collar/bearing arrangement before you disassemble them. It will all become clear.