HybridZ

M-M Rear Disc Brake Conversion hardline question - '71 240Z

Hello all,

I finally got the custom SS lines to Ross' S30 Rear Disc Brake Conversion kit ( had to wait almost 3 months) and I'm trying to figure out why the driver's side hardline from the T junction needs to be replaced with a new 20" hardline. The SS brake line that is part of his kit fits right onto the original one. If anyone has any insight as to why this should be done, please enlighten me.

Hello all,

I finally got the custom SS lines to Ross' S30 Rear Disc Brake Conversion kit ( had to wait almost 3 months) and I'm trying to figure out why the driver's side hardline from the T junction needs to be replaced with a new 20" hardline. The SS brake line that is part of his kit fits right onto the original one. If anyone has any insight as to why this should be done, please enlighten me.

It's been a few years since I did this upgrade on my 71. As I recall, the extended hardline is needed to allow full droop of the rear suspension without stressing the flex line. I'll have to climb under the car to take another look to be sure.

Mark, the original hardline is even longer than a 20" replacement. It actually gives the SS line too much room and makes it curl a bit. I wonder if Ross wants the shorter 20" hardline for aesthetic purposes because that is what happened on the passenger side. According to Ross' instructions, I removed the hardline on the T junction that went to the passenger side caliper and replaced it with the longer SS line provided. This made it look nicer, but was not necessary. Two short SS lines could have been plugged right into the existing hardlines and that would have been that. I'll wait to see what yours looks like. Maybe it will open my eyes.