HybridZ

Gills

Guest Anonymous

You could always steal them from his car! icon_biggrin.gif

Actually, an easy way would be to find a style that you like from an existing car--like MR2, Z28, Trans Am, etc, and adapt it to your Z's fender. Otherwise, you can get scoops and vents from some of the rice/import magazines. Those are just some ideas...

David

Guest Anonymous

Just last night I finished my hood "gills" for engine cooling and am toying with the idea of adding a matching set in the fender also. The difference is that my car is completely stripped for paint so I don't have to worry about scratches or anything.

What I did was cut a hole in the sheet metal in the desired shape using a jigsaw. After cleaning up the holes with a file and sandpaper I made a grill (gills) out of 1/8"x3/4" aluminum flat stock with the outside edges shaped in a curve. The effect is very cool indeed.

Imagine that this is a view of the flat stock from the top. With the jigsaw I notched the the ends of the aluminum in the middle about 5/8" to hold the edges of the hood metal. The metal is actually longer than the hole by 1 1/4". Half of the stock is inside the hole and half outside. The outside was then shaped with a nice radius and sanded with 600 grit. It looks really nice. I need to post a pic.

----------------------------------

---- ----

-------------------------------/

Guest Anonymous

The gills in that pic are non-functional...I like the idea you have there...I don't need to worry about scratches because I plan to paint the car soon...thinking maybe I can cut the interior gills out and then maybe weld a finisher on top and bottom to cover the ends...to be an exact copy of that picture, only functional...don't know if the frame rail would get in the way of fnctionality though...