HybridZ

electrical problem?

hi I'm new to the forums, to start this off

well i have a 1975 datsun 280z that has sat since 1988 which i bought about 1 month ago.

the car at the moment has su carbs on it because i did want to deal w/ the fuel injection stuff

the car should be able to start however i cannot due to the coil only sending a spark twice.

the 1st time is when i turn the key to ignition and the 2nd is when i let go of it.

In between the is no sparks

I'm not sure what is causing this, or wether it is normal for it to do that.

can anyone please give me some advice on this and how to get the car started.

i know there is fuel and air going into the chamber, i have not the timing but I'm sure the wires on the distributer are correct.

thank you in advance

Every time you tap the coil you are simulating the turning of the distributor. The lobes in the distributor opens and closes the points or triggers the magnetic pickup sending a signal to the coil to fire a plug. This is how firing order and ignition timing are controlled. Even with the engine just cranking you should see each plug wire fire as the distributor turns. Other common ignition problems include bad caps or rotor, weak condenser. The condenser is there to mitigate the arcing across the points. When you do see a spark is it yellow or blue. Yellow spark may indicate a weak coil. Check for dirt, cracks, loose connections, all these things can degrade the ignition circuit.

thanks i think i figured it out. I think i found a short and fixed the wires and now its runs fine just the spark in the plugs seem really weak. gonna get those changed tomorrow to see how it goes. once again thank you every much.