HybridZ

Bumper restoration

s_dudinski

I'll start by saying that I am a neophyte when it comes to metal work. i would like to fix my bumpers to an acceptable condition (being able to use them and install them)

below are the photos of the damage, both the front and rear bumpers are bent, unfortunately right at the mounting bracket position.

are they repairable, at home with minimal tools (a mallet, anvil and a gas burner)? what is the procedure on hammering out the dents, what can i do about the bent brackets?

post-6863-12685367941136_thumb.jpg

post-6863-12685367958739_thumb.jpg

post-6863-12685367977134_thumb.jpg

post-6863-1268536799604_thumb.jpg

post-6863-12685368016137_thumb.jpg

post-6863-12685368031255_thumb.jpg

post-6863-12685368050181_thumb.jpg

For someone who has never done paintless metalwork, it's going to be a real chore to get that straight. If I wanted to make it look good, and those were the only tools I had, I'd load them up and take it to a chrome shop to be redone.

If you have done some paintless or bare metal shaping before with just hammers and dollies, then it would be roughly a 8 on the 0-10 scale of difficulty; those creases are pretty sharp.

For someone who has never done paintless metalwork, it's going to be a real chore to get that straight. If I wanted to make it look good, and those were the only tools I had, I'd load them up and take it to a chrome shop to be redone.

If you have done some paintless or bare metal shaping before with just hammers and dollies, then it would be roughly a 8 on the 0-10 scale of difficulty; those creases are pretty sharp.

in other words, these are shot, eh?

Not at all! Take them to get rechromed, they will strip them, straighten and remove any dings and dents, and rechrome them, which you would have to do anyway after straightening them.

As soon as you hit that chrome bumper to take those creases out, the chrome will start flaking. after that, it's all downhill unless you get them rechromed. Besides, it gives you a good chance to weld up the holes ans smooth those puppies out!

Not at all! Take them to get rechromed, they will strip them, straighten and remove any dings and dents, and rechrome them, which you would have to do anyway after straightening them.

As soon as you hit that chrome bumper to take those creases out, the chrome will start flaking. after that, it's all downhill unless you get them rechromed. Besides, it gives you a good chance to weld up the holes ans smooth those puppies out!

i don't particularly care for the chrome, i could paint them and be happy with them.

they would need to remove the spot-welded brackets off the bumpers and re-weld them back on, i can't imagine that being all that cheap.

i don't particularly care for the chrome, i could paint them and be happy with them.

they would need to remove the spot-welded brackets off the bumpers and re-weld them back on, i can't imagine that being all that cheap.

Why would you remove the brackets? If you want to paint them, start by getting them sand blasted. Then just follow normal body work procedure.

Why would you remove the brackets? If you want to paint them, start by getting them sand blasted. Then just follow normal body work procedure.

look at the photos, both the front and the rear bumpers are dented right where the brackets are. and the brackets themselves are distorted.

look at the photos, both the front and the rear bumpers are dented right where the brackets are. and the brackets themselves are distorted.

I still don't think you need to remove them. But you can just drill out the spot welds if you do. Then straighten and wel the brackets back on.

• 2 weeks later...

Id say try it if your going to bring them to the chrome shop anyway try to fix some of the dents youll know right away if your up to the task or not and when you bring them to chrome later they can fix what you didnt do right the first time, imall about trying before giving up but thats me. What i dont like about the Fiberglass bumpers is that in minor impact where the metal on would hold a little bit the FG one will break and way more damage to the front end IMO .