HybridZ

rb25det mounting

dice

the shop that is mounting my 72 240z welded the custom mount in the body of my car(forgot to take a look if the mounts we're also welded in the engine). is this ok? cause i saw RS Speed built and saw the mounts are attached to the engine. i'll post pics by tomorrow

Edited by dice

The problem I do see is your mounts will not be easily replaceable and if they break, won't your engine just drop? How come you just didn't get a kit which comes with engine mounts and everything else? A good welder, can make a very strong and durable mount no doubt, but a person who doesn't know what he's doing can cause more problems than it's worth. Just my opinion

the shop that is mounting my 72 240z welded the custom mount in the body of my car(forgot to take a look if the mounts we're also welded in the engine). is this ok? cause i saw RS Speed built and saw the mounts are attached to the engine. i'll post pics by tomorrow

Please post up those pictures so we can see how it was done.

Yes, a picture would help a lot. Welding in mounts to the chassis is not horribly uncommon, if I'm not mistaken all the SR20 guys have to weld in a new cradle when doing swaps. Luckily the RB motor mount location is close enough to the stock Z mounts that something "bolt-on" is easily attainable.

Here's a picture of my drivers side mount, just a little piece that bolts to the block and goes to the factory Z motor mounts.

13.jpg

Edited by RS Speed

thanks and sorry for the late reply kinda busy these past few days i'll post some pics if given a free time. bout the engine mounts the shop cut the original engine mount that is holding the original L24 engine they replaced it and welded a new engine mount that will hold the rb25 in place.

So they cut the cross-member? They are doing a lot of extra work to mount the engine. Sounds like this is there first time doing an RB Z swap. For less than they're going to charge for all that extra metal work you could have given them a set of engine & tranny mounts from Mckinney Motorsport.

I would strongly suggest that you search this forum to see what other people have done. At this point so many people have done this swap that most of the R&D is already done. I would also let your mechanic know about this site.

The only reason I can think why a shop would weld instead of having a kit is because it's a lot easier to weld then do all that R&D to make a kit....Like everyone stated, most likely it's the shop's first time doing this swap and they don't know that kits are available. Being in the Phillipines, I'm assuming not many RBs or Zs over there. Guiding the shop over here would help it greatly lots of info here....LOTS OF INFO

The only reason I can think why a shop would weld instead of having a kit is because it's a lot easier to weld then do all that R&D to make a kit....Like everyone stated, most likely it's the shop's first time doing this swap and they don't know that kits are available. Being in the Phillipines, I'm assuming not many RBs or Zs over there. Guiding the shop over here would help it greatly lots of info here....LOTS OF INFO

the shop has already swapped a z with an rb20 engine. what they did is something like this http://csgarage.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/dsc02652.jpg

and sir you are definetly right there are only a few z's here which is why it's very hard to find parts :(