HybridZ

Lock mechanism problems that have been going on for years

OK, I got it!

This is what I did:

I tested the washer/shim method on the passenger lock cylinder and put it back in. It worked. I then did the driver side, and it didn't work. I figured I'd follow the advice in the instructions above and swap sides. Driver side still didn't work.

I got in there and analyzed what was going on. I used a spare door latch mechanism to understand it. The lever that the lock cylinder rod pushes down on is a little loose on its mounting point. It rocks slightly, keeping it from engaging the lock. The other end of the lever may be missing some bushing or something.. it seems to have a ton of play. I realized getting the latch mech out of the door requires removing the window track... I don't want to get into that right now.

I decided to keep it simple and extend the lock cylinder rod by just straightening it out. I removed it and put it in my vice. Got it perfectly straight and reinstalled it. The lock works like a charm now!

rod.jpg

That's the rod. You can see the curve in it. It works fine if straightened, and gives that extra movement my mechanism needed to engage the lock.

Haha, yeah.

Should I use some armor all to put some life back into that window track? I know it makes a mess out of windows, but I've seen it do wonders for lubing them up.

I also have silicon spray lube, which is probably almost the same thing as armor all. Maybe I should just use that?

• 10 months later...

My driver side door doesn't to anything. It won't lock with the key or by pushing down on the push/pull tab. I've removed the rod from the lock cylinder to eliminate the cylinder as the problem and I can't even push it down by hand. The only way I was able to get my door to lock was sticking my hand back there and pushing the thing back there towards the striker (or whatever it's called), from there I found that it unlocks just fine with the key and push/pull tab. Any ideas for me?

I know this is an old thread, but I figure it's worth mentioning that Oil or grease is NOT the best lube for locks. It's really much better to use Graphite or a drying silicon spray. both will lubicate the lock, but not allow for dirt to collect on the parts. Oil and great will work but eventually gum up when they get dirty. Brake parts cleaner is really good for removing oil grease and dirt from old locks, then graphite to replace the lube and you should be set. Thanks for detailing the fixing of the worn parts. that's awesome...

Phar

Edited by Pharaohabq