HybridZ

insulation/sound deadening

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

whats the best product to use/buy that will very effectively insulate my tranny tunnel, firewall, floorpans, and doors.

-chase

dynamat!!!!

that stuff is incredible, get the xtreme dynamat, my buddy insulated his tranny tunnal, floors, firewall, and doors with it in his 5.0 with headers and dual three inch flow masters- and you really cant hear sh*T!

it blocks out the road completely and tranny noise, but you can still hear the noises that count, it kinda weeds out the unnessessary

noises and you can still hear the ones you want to hear-so quiet, cant wait to do it to mine!!! jegs and summit have cheap alternatives, but you get what you pay for in that situation.

Dynamat is purportedly great, but it is also expensive--the main downside. I have been looking at www.sounddomain.com and the Cascade Engineering product they sell that is sound deadening paste--talk about being able to cover any kind of surface! They sell the stuff in gallon containers. HTH

Davy

Guest JAMIE T

I just(saterday) put new floorpans in my '71 240Z. I put down Dynamat and then some insulation with the heat reflective foil on one side. It made a huge differance, but I am comparing it to when the car had big rust holes in the floor icon_rolleyes.gif I will put the same combination of products in the hatch area for a more solid car. Also I will put Dynamat on all interior surfaces to make it a "dead" car, I have big time audio/video planned for this car.

Jamie

Deathstar

[ July 02, 2001: Message edited by: JAMIE T ]

This is a FAQ - do a search. Some of th ediscussions were pretty interesting with the most interesting one (IMO) being the use of pickup bed liner in liquid form! I used Dynamat myself but had I heard of this bed liner I think I'd have dpone that instead as it sounds perfect. The Dynamat spray cans don't go far BTW and have really high pressures that spray crap everywhere if you're nto careful. I think my site even has pics of where I put the Dynamat and the aluminum foil stuff (boought at Home Depot BTW). Note that you do NOT have to cover every inch of the pan with this stuff - that's not how it's supposed to be used. IF you choose to use Dynamat you can buy their "trunk kit" and have enough to cover most of the Z's pans and panels. That's what I used. Buy a wallpaper roller and use a heat gun for best results.

If you've got more questions about what I did after searchng fire away and I'll try to help. At least one of us here has engineering experience in sound deadening on subs so there's plenty of help on this subject here icon_biggrin.gif

Guest V8wannabe

I sprayed a truck bed liner on the inside of all body panels after rust removal and priming. In the passenger compartment, I used a home roofing product called "Ice & Water"...some guys at a stereo install place told me about it. $49 Canadian for 78 sq ft, they said it wasn't quite as good as Dynomat but would make a big difference and was a whole lot cheaper. Sure makes the doors close with a nice "clunk". Have fun!

A home roofing product?! Doh, who would've thunk it? That makes perfect sense though as all you're really looking for is some sort of tar like substance to dampen the vibrations. How does it smell though? I'd be worried about the fumes, especially on hot days. If it's not making a stink I think that would be an excellent idea as to hat to use. I may ocnsider doing somehting like that if I ever have my stuff ripped apart again - hopefully NOT soon! icon_smile.gif

Guest Anonymous

I had truck bed lining sprayed into my car and have been very happy with it. Not only is it easy (hands-off) but the main advantage to me was the fact that it can't come loose at a later date. I couldn't see spending hours scraping off the factory mats in order to stick some new ones right back on there. Granted, it is also more permanent. I just gutted the interior and left enough to drive the car to the shop. They guy sprayed it and I picked it up the same day. All bed liners are not alike so shop around for one with the qualities that you want.

Craig

Guest Anonymous

Dyna mat is definitley the way to go, extremw is the best and even works under the hood. I put it on th back of my door panels and it made a huge difference.

Aaron

Guest V8wannabe

The "Ice and Water" has a nylon backing on one side and sticky on the other...makes for a easy (if your car is gutted) installation. no problems with the smell...it is tar-like, but not tar.