HybridZ

Replaced my 280 steering wheel with a 240

leftover z

I never liked the looks of the 280 steering wheel. Seemed like they belong more in the Datsun pickups then the S30's. So I bought a 240 wheel (thanks Skib), refinished it, and put her in today.

Here's my Z with the old 280 wheel:

post-9446-12689529222644_thumb.jpg

And here's how it looks today:

post-9446-12689529445113_thumb.jpg

Edited by leftover z

Thanks! Now if I can only figure out why the horn won't work. It did with the 280 wheel. It doesn't appear anything is missing on the 240 wheel. I even replaced the grounding wire on it. Crap.

Yeah, figure that out asap. My 260Z's horn doesn't work and I wish I had it!! Many cases where I've needed it. Now that the engine swap is approaching, I'll make sure all the things are in working order.

wow that wheel came out great 2thumbs.gif

Thanks Skib. The picture (with flash) doesn't do it justice. I'm trying to figure out why the horn won't work. It APPEARS everything is there. I even replaced the grounding wire. The horn worked fine with the 280 wheel. Do you remember if, in your opinion, that everything needed for the 240 wheel was there?

Yeah, figure that out asap. My 260Z's horn doesn't work and I wish I had it!! Many cases where I've needed it. Now that the engine swap is approaching, I'll make sure all the things are in working order.

Ok, since the steering wheel on these S30's are so easy to remove, I pulled mine. All the parts are there. Since I knew my horn worked with the 280 wheel, I knew I overlooked something. With the steering wheel off, you can see the lever that has to have contact with the back of the steering wheel (it's at about the 5:00 clock postion). I gently bent it towards me. The right end of that lever has to make contact with the back of the wheel hub. Popped the steering wheel back on. Bingo... I am legal again.