HybridZ

This is KILLING me!

RPMS

I swear, I'm going nuts, and I have to vent a little bit...

Last night my friend Kirby, my paint and body guru, came over and helped me fill in most of the small waves and dings that block sanding revealed. It was great to have him there to teach me how to do all this stuff, and I'm very, VERY thankful to have him help me get this car as straight as possible before painting it. After all the work, time, and money I've put into this car, I don't want to end up with a half-assed paint job on it.

But Kirby said that I still have to re-prime, guide coat, and block sand before I can even paint the jambs. Then I have to put the doors and mirrors back on, then wet sand the whole thing twice, and only then will I be able to shoot REAL paint on it.

I'm getting antsy like you wouldn't believe! I don't have a lot of patience to begin with, and doing this "two steps forward, one step back" dance with filling/priming/sanding/filling/priming/sanding is taking a toll on me. I want gratification NOW, and I'm throwing a mental tantrum!!! icon_mad.gif

*sigh* Who was that Greek character who was condemned to be forever pushing the big stone uphill? Always striving, but never reaching his goal? This will feel so good when it's all over, but while I'm still in the middle of things, it seems like it'll never end. But the recent shots of Pete and Dan's cars give me hope that all of this effort is for a good cause, and they motivate me to keep after it and not cut corners.

Does anyone have about a gallon of patience they'll sell cheap?

Agreed Mike, this is also why is so expensive to get good bodywork done on an entire car!

My next project car will either have a great body and paint when I buy it or I'll learn how to do this myself! Too much money in body and paint in my case that could have been put in the motor, etc.!

Scott, hang in there bud. Do it RIGHT and you'll love the results. Those last steps of blocking, guide coating, blocking, (repeat), paint, and then wet sanding is what makes it go from not so hot looking to killer!

If it stops raining soon today, I'll be going to pick mine up from the paint shop.

Yea hang in there Scott-I think someone should come up w/that Greek character's name-we can dub his name as the process our Z's must go thru before being labeled "Streetable".

Pete!!! I cant wait to see your Z! I'll be looking for pictures when I get home later today...providing there are no surprises for you when you pick up your car/dont keep us un suspense!

The party's waiting!

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Hrm, anyone that can push a boulder up a hill is not "sissy" in my book! J/K

Scott, hang in there! And be sure to post pics of the ride when it's painted! We are all eager to see it finished (but maybe not as much as you are icon_biggrin.gif)

Take care,

Davy

Thanks for the encouragement, guys!

Last night I did the "final" blocking and filling on all of the car except the driver's side rear wheel arch. I'm having a devil of a time getting that compound curve right! The P.O. had a replacement piece welded in, and the metal doesn't exactly follow stock contours. Last night I gave up trying to follow the precise stock curve, and wiped the whole arch. If I can't duplicate stock, I'll make my own, dammit! icon_smile.gif It already looks 10x better than before. Tonight, if the Bondo Gods smile on me, I *might* get it right!

Then, I can advance one more step...

And you're right, Drax, that was a cool paper on Sisyphus (thanks for supplying the name!) Didn't I see that Sisyphus had a Bondo spreader tucked into the waistband of his toga???

[ July 19, 2001: Message edited by: RPMS ]

For block sanding a radius like the wheel arch, I used a large rad hose that was close to the arch radius. For a smaller radius, use a smaller hose. It works great! icon_wink.gif

This is as a backing for the sand paper.

[ July 19, 2001: Message edited by: Mike kZ ]