HybridZ

Help me fix my 1980 720?

My 1980 datsun 720 was running weird, it wouldn't idle, I had to keep my foot on the gas to get it to stay running and if I didn't it would just shut off. I decided that rebuilding the carb was the best bet considering it felt like a fuel delivery problem and it's an old carb.

The problem now is that it will barely run even with me playing with the gas pedal. I have to keep taping it up and down just to keep it going. Upon startup it'll rev up slowly to about 3k then drop down quickly and that is when I intervene with the gas pedal. I'm really not sure what to do right now. At this point I'm considering trying to find a new carb already rebuilt seeing as this is my second attempt at rebuilding a carb without success.

any help is appreciated

The first sounds like the anti-deiseling valve. The second happened to me, it seems that I didn't get the jet in all the way and it fell out. It then proceeded to pour gas down the intake.

Also, check to make sure the choke is working. If it's not that could create a bunch of problems that you're talking about.

These things happened on my dad's 84 720. Sorting the carb fixed them.

well the anti-deiseling solenoid could very well be bad. I'm pretty sure the carb is factory from 1980 so these things could have gone bad.

The choke seemed to be rough opening and closing because we had a spring in the wrong way and it caught on the linkages but we got that figured out. I guess I should check the anti dieseling solenoid. But how do I tell if its working or not? Just apply 12v to it? When should it be getting power through the wire?