HybridZ

best paint remover

Guest DATTO

Guest DATTO

hey guys

i bought a volvo intercooler at a local pick n pull and saw that it is black/...i wanted to remove the paint so i tried aircraft paint remover,,,the green gelly stuff. well it worked on some parts of the intercooler but not all...but i must say it works really well. just wondering if there are anything stronger that i can buy over the counter. these green gelly cans cost 9 bucks a piece and cant do all of the intercooler. i tried the aircraft paint remover spray but it wasnt effective at all. any other ideas??? oven cleaner..?? if i cant get all the paint off, im just gonna repaint the intercooler silver. but i would rather have the paint off, it looks cleaner. thanks all!

I would say don't use oven cleaner--I really don't think it would help. A great product I've used is called "Peeler" made by Kleen Strip, and it takes off all the paint quickly with no messy residue. It bubbles the paint and then you blast it off with air. Very easy to do. You can use it even for car bodies and it'll take the paint to the primer, but no more; leaving the primer intact to paint again!

Hope this helps.

Davy

Guest Anonymous

I used some stuff I got at autozone that's called "Aircraft Remover"...basically sprayed it on and waited about ten minutes and the paint peeled right off...did it once on a part I painted with krylon and it would barely work, but I used about 3 cans of it in my engine bay, and it worked like a charm on the factory paintjob...I stripped an entire engine bay in less than two hours to bare metal with it...make sure you rinse it off thoroughly out of every little nook and cranny though or it will come back to haunt you when it starts to strip the new paintjob, lol.

Guest Anonymous

sorry bout that, didn't realize you were talking about the same stuff...I never used the jelly stuff...just the spray cans...usually it's just a matter of letting it sit long enough and not letting it dry up...

Here are two products that you may consider:

El Pico Professional Paint Stripper-Remover and/or Jasco Professional Paint Stripper-Remover. Similar to the jelly in consistancy, however, it is are very costic. Have used it to strip through as many as 6 coats of paint and primer; using 2-3 application coats. Bubbles up in about 5 minutes. Jasco is water base rinsable, works quiet well. Use gloves and eye protection! Cost approx. $28 per gallon. Can be purchased at most major hardware suppliers, i.e. Home Depot or Paint and Decorating stores.

icon_cool.gif Van

Guest Anonymous

Yep, I've used the Jasco product before, worked pretty good, but definitely gloves and goggles the stuff is vicious!

Regards,

Lone