HybridZ

Someone say gills?

BLKMGK

Awhile back someone had mentioned grafting "gills" onto the Z. I happened to run across a pic of a Z with some done rather tastefully IMO so I've linked it here...

00r08f13.jpg

and a closer look

00r08f18.jpg

[ August 07, 2001: Message edited by: BLKMGK ]

Maybe its just me, but I don't particularly like it. It screams rice to me. (and doesn't look right on the car IMHO)

However, making something like that functional does interest me somewhat... though I think I'd rather have it exit elsewhere.

To each his own!

Guest Anonymous

I don't mind the gills, but I'm not crazy about the large wheels/short sidewall. As you say to each his own I guess, but it just looks like conestoga wagon wheels to me... icon_smile.gif

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

Gentlemen, I have been away for awhile but this post is of interest. You are exactly correct, the vents are from a 78 Z28 and were an option for improved brake cooling on cars built by SCARAB from 1978 through 1982 when they went out of business. My SCARAB has these vents but they appear to be located several inches lower. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and in 1988 when I rebuilt the car I thought these looked really cool so I chose to retain the option.

The Z3 did't exist then but it appears to be a very attractive addition to any Z.

Guest Frank Rich

Personally, I've always wondered how the fender vents from a late 70's - early 80's Pontiac T/A - which aren't really gills, but vents with screens - would look transplanted into first generation Z fenders? They might be too big, and they're more angular, so they might overpower the lines of a Z, but I'd like to experiment with them as a way to vent brake heat and reduce underbody/underhood air pressure. Placement would be critical though - too high or too low and they would really look crappy.

"Lead me not into Temptation, I'm getting there just fine on my own!"

Frank icon_biggrin.gif

Frank/Les,

I'm w/you guys on the 70/Early 80's fender vents. I've already bought two T/A Vents for if/when I ever make my swap.

The T/A Vents are of two pieces per side. The outer cosmetic part of the T/A Vent we see viewing the T/A from the side can be unbolted from the inside & removed; yet the 2nd piece is spot welded onto the fender. The shop I bought my left/right cosmetic pieces from was a T/A collector & had agreed to sell me a pair of T/A fenders for $40 a piece where I'ld be able to cut the "Spot Welded" section off for graphing onto my fender. I knew my project was on hold & I'ld not be making any changes to the body for some time. I didnt care to [waste/canibalize] two perfectly good fenders, even if they were T/A fenders, & opted to purchase the outer pieces only. You can always find bent T/A fenders at a later date w/the Vents still unharmed...advised the Shop Owner I'ld wait on the inner braces for now.

If you want your outer pieces to fit flush onto the fender you will need the inner pieces that are spot welded to the original T/A fenders...or fabricate another yet similar brace for the outer pieces.

I've rested the fender vents, just behind my front wheels, on my door molding that extends to the front fender wells & they really look like they'ld look quite well...only problem is if/when you decide to mount them-they will interfere w/the inner fender well's plastic mud protectors & you'ld have to join the vent to the engine w/a tube of some sort. I've also thought about installing an Electrical Fan inside that tube so when the electrical fan (Tauraus or 5.0 electrical fan) kicks on the smaller elect.fans in the tubes to the T/A fender vents would also kick on & vent the underhood air outward...anyway/just passing my thoughts on. I'm sure like everything else on our cars....its gonna take time/more time...& more time & so on.

Anyone have pictures of a Z w/the T/A fender vents already installed? If pictures exist I'ld really like to see them posted!!!

Kevin

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

[ August 08, 2001: Message edited by: Kevin Shasteen ]

Guest Anonymous

I've been thinking about rear vents for rear brake cooling, i'd like to see it done on a stock or mildly flared rear quart. Has anyone seen it done (and got pics)

I think it could really make or brake the car.