HybridZ

emblem idea

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Do you know of any company that has emblems of V8Z or Z-V8 or something like that? I saw a post of something like that at one of these forums for one that was on sale on ebay but the company, hotrodgraphics.com i think it was, dosn't have their site up and running yet. I think one of these to replace the 240z's would be pretty slick. I think it would have to be the same size and style of font but when people see it they would do a double take if they were familiar with the cars. i think that would be a really cool way to be really subtle icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Frank Rich

Those are all pretty cool - but how about a replacement emblem to snap over the vent hole in the B-pillar of the roof? Make it the same size as the original, but change the emblem to reflect V8 power...

Maybe a palstic injection-molded piece that could be chrome plated or paint-matched, or maybe a piece cast from metal that could be polished or anodized? It would be subtle enough to require a closer look, but different enough to make a statement.

Didn't I see a thread somewhere on this forum about somebody experimenting with casting metal emblems? Pewter or pot metal or some such?

"Lead me not into Temptation, I'm getting there just fine on my own!"

Frank icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Locutus

I am toying with the casting idea right now. If I can get some decent prototypes I will post them up for everyone to make comments on. I am still learning about casting plastics and metals so there is a learning curve as well. Give me a few weeks and I should have something to show.

Mike

That Z V8 emblem on the site looks too simple, like its just cut out of sheet metal. It's too long and tall too.

I experimented with some plaster of paris as a mold but it sucked big time, even with a release agent. I'm gonna try polymer clay next. If that doesnt work I'm gonna try silicon or urethane which is kinda expensive...

Anyone know where I can get clear pourable silicon with a high hardness rating for cheap?

Owen

Guest Locutus

Yes I did get them thank you. I am reading up on mold making techniques before I pursue making different emblems. I would like to maybe cast some steel ones to see if I can do it, but you guys will be the first to see them.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

Yeah the hotrodgraphics.com emblem does kinda look cheesy in my opinion but its still a good idea. Ill be following your guys posts on what you guys come up with. Have you guys ever seen one of those big side stickers on the side of a datsun? I checked out the stickercity.com link and when i saw their "fast and the furious" style stickers it made me wonder. I know its something that i wouldnt want to do but if you guys saw one or have their own done up the same way and have pictures of it online then there is a good possiblity that it would change my mind. I could see how putting one of those big stickers could make it look really nice or really bad. a good application that poped into my head when i first saw those stickers were one of the blue sickers on an orange Z.