HybridZ

Get Rid of the Roof Emblem

Guest Willieboy240z

Guest Willieboy240z

Purists will gasp with disgust, but as my Z is undergoing a major paint and body work, I am thinking now about filling in the hole where the roof emblem goes.

A "clean" appearance is the goal.

Thoughts on this? Can anybody point me to some pix of same?

Guest Anonymous

I'm kinda in the same boat... It appears to be some kind of vent. I don't know what it was used for though...

I'm thinking about sandblasting mine and painting them flat black... I saw that somewhere and liked it.

240Z turbo filled his in, check out his site. http://www.eng.fsu.edu/~jthagard/

The purpose of the vent hole is to let the vent air, when pulled under dash, to flow even when the windows are closed. In other words the vented air coming in the car would not flow well with out the hole, unless you crack open the window. Hope this helps

Eh, just let the bad seals around the tailights exhaust the air icon_smile.gif

Didn't the really early Zs have vents on the rear hatch for this, then later they began using the pillar vents? I wonder what it would look like with no vents, anyone got a pic or maybe a Photoshop rendering? Not sure I'd like it unless you zapped the drip rails too...

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, the 70's I believed had them on the back, not sure about 71, I saw one driving not long ago and did a double take. They do look (IMHO) a little add-on though like they thought about it late in the design process... icon_smile.gif

Lone

Guest Al 260Z

I plugged mine w/ crumpled newspaper cause I was trying to keep my newfound a/c cool air inside. Ol beater car got so many air leaks don't need no blasted stock vents sucking more fumes in! Found that it helped reduce fumes (I'd mostly licked this problem prior), helped keep car inside cooler, AND it reduced wind noise from bad seals at window and door right by my left ear!!.

Mean to plug those vents w/ something more waterproof than newspaper, styrofoam maybe.

Anyway. utility of vents on older Z marginal at best!! --------- Al

Guest KraZ4spd

I have a 70. They do have rear vents on the hatch thats why the 70 hatches are 20x more expensive than all other hatches. I thought of exchanging the Hatch I have for one in better shape but it's very hard to find one cheap in good shape. If I don't get a 70 hatch I'll run into the same problem you guys would have. If you do Cover the vents air will not flow easily through the car. There's nothing worse than a car with stagnant interior.(IMHO) icon_sad.gif

I remove the trim/bezel "Z" piece, cut out the "Z" center and finish the inner "ring" that you have left. Cut a piece of bright aluminum screen to fit between the bezel and the pillar, retained by the three bezel pins, and push the bezel into place. This modification looks outstanding. However, the drawback that I've found is that people, and not just children, are overwhelmingly compelled to push on the screen with their finger. It's like it's a finger MAGNET! Easily fixed though.

DAW

• 2 weeks later...
Guest V8wannabe

Forgive me Purists...I have sinned. I cut metal and migged over the rear vents, shaved off the rain gutters and door handles. Then put the rear qtr panels on 1 1/4" out further, following the natural lines. Also, removed the rear window chrome and used the DA sander to smooth out the window rubber (carefully...don't scratch the window glass). The car is a 76 with a 77 vented hood and front air dam....looks plenty cool to me even in primer. I'll post some pics when I can.

Guest Anonymous

ALL,

The side vents do serve an important air flow and exchange feature that persons may actually miss during the winter!

Without a constant air flow through the car provided by the side vents, stale or moisture ladened air can build up reducing expulsion of morning winter air that clings to the inside of the windows.

On the other hand, I share the view of others that say that the car's lines and visual appeal might be improved by removing the metal badges. The question I have is whether the vent holes should be totally sealed. I am leaning toward removing the badges and replacing them with my own vent design. I may either create an insertable vent in the style of my vented side pipe rocker covers or hood vent redesign or open up or reroute the vent hole area. Examination of the back side will reveal that this is easily do'able.

So some of you want to see some fancy seam weld-up, gutter and badge removal on a 240Z, do yah? Well, an excellent example of some of the best that has ever been executed on a Z car is just around the corner in the thread in this Body & Paint section of HybridZ entitled "Side Pipes-Pros & Cons? Please check it out. I photographed this car for my website last year, but have held off publishing most of the photos because Sports Z Magazine has showed interest to showcase the car in their magazine, but there's no harm in showing a teaser is there?

Life's a Modem, Enjoy the Connection,

Eric Neyerlin of Z PARTS

Guest John Adkins

A lot of '70s and '80 cars vented air through

the doors. They have air grilles on the door

panels near the bottom and another small grill opening in the

door jamb near the latch, so air flows through the door and out the door jamb. I had a Pontiac Sunbird like this and a Ford Ranger. You could do something like this when filling the air vent near the quarter window on a Z to keep the flow-through ventilation...

I have an early '71 Z with the air vents in the hatch. What I dont understand about this setup is that the round openings to the interior are in the lower edge of the hatch, OUTSIDE of the hatch weatherstripping. So if the weatherstripping seals between the hatch and body, how does air get from the interior past the weatherstrip? Maybe this is why they changed the vents in later models icon_biggrin.gif

I did the same thing with my 1970 240 Z.

I had the hatch vents welded over and the same for bumper slots and badges. Bodyman I knew did it all for me as Im no body or paint man. Looks super cool. Mike icon_eek.gif

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

I guess it's hard to be original when cusomizing a car that is almost 30 years old.I've spent countless nights laying in bed trying to think up my next "MOVE" that was going to set my "Z" apart from everyone else....shaved door handles,shaved emblems, blended body panels,frenched antenna,somebody even took "MY" idea of building a turbo stoker, built on a diesel block......It just reinforces the old addage "Great Minds Think Alike" !!!!BUT WAIT,I have a couple of "ACES" up my sleeve,check out the post under "Roof Vent"......