HybridZ

Has anyone had their Z dipped

Guest Anonymous

Pros - clean slate. cons - th edip can stay in little corners and ruin a new paint job when it comes out. You'll lose any and all rust protection as well as all sealing in the seams. The car will rust quickly afterwards if it's not dipped in a solution to halt the rust - phosphate I think is what they use I think. There's a shop near me that does this, I'd suggest only doing it on an old car that couldn't be stripped any other way.

Guest Anonymous

I am in the process of restoring my Z. It is completely stripped down. I have considered having it dipped and starting from a clean slate. Has anyone tried having their chassis dipped. What are the pros and cons and how much does it cost? Any suggestions.

FWIW, I sandblasted parts of my first Z. Done carefully you can strip the paint layer by layer without damaging th emetal too badly. However I noticed that if the air had ANY water in it the car would surface rust as fast as I blasted it! Use a good etching primer, I used a 2part product from PPG that was awesome!

Why do you feel you need to take it this far down? Unless it's got tons of paint I'd not do it - rust can get in there too easily and it's a huge job you're setting yourself up for. You should've seen the way sand got into EVERYTHING on the car I did and I only did the fenderwells and underfender areas up front. Oh yeah, engine bay and cowl too. I had a beach in my driveway inches deep. Used play sand - Sakcrete actually has more trash in it than generic sand icon_mad.gif

.. you might consider having the chasis media blasted using a polymer resin or crushed walnut shells. It's non evasive to the metal and does a neat job of paint stripping while being less agressive than sand blasting. Be prepared to shoot a primer afterwards as a protective coat against oxidation while you plan any repairs that may follow the strip.

Guest Anonymous

If ya realy got to do it and want it to be cheap why not try paint stripper, i've done 2 whole cars (one was a wagon) this way, including all hanging panels and doorjambs etc. It takes a bit of time and it helps to be mad but it is cheap (under 100 bucks) and theres no panel distortion if your not rough.