HybridZ

OEM or repro weatherstrip and seals?

Guest JAMIE T

Guest JAMIE T

I am getting ready to paint my Z, and need to get new windshield and hatch glass seals. VB has OEM windshield seal for $150, but does not have the hatch glass seal as OEM, only the repro. After searching the archives, it seems that OEM is the best way to go, but it is so tempting to buy a $199 dollar kit that includes all of the seals and weatherstrip. Are the repro items that bad? My main needs now are the mentioned seals, Is anyone else cheaper for OEM seals than VB? I can't for the life of me find my Motorsports catalog to compare prices. Also, I'm looking to buy replacement rocker panels, anyone have suggestions as to availability, quality, ease of installation, etc... I know they need to be welded in(duh), I just want to know how well the repro items fit. VB has them for $50 per side. If they have them instock, I will likely order them tommorow.

Jamie,

down time is about to start icon_sad.gif And you know how much I like to drive my Z

Jamie, I have one of the older repro kits, never installed. I heard that the fit isn't tops on these windshield and rear glass W/S's so I bought new ones from Nissan a few months ago. Oh, they are probably 25 years old, that is.

Anyway, if you decide you want the repro's, I have a set I'd let go pretty cheap. Actually, I have everything in that kit but the door W/S's.

But if this is a realy nice car, I'd go Nissan. I heard too many not-so-nice things about the repros.

I can shoot some pics of my "repro" seals if you'd like. The stainless did NOT fit as well as it did the original seals and the new seals were different in size - I can see where the car was painted without removing the glass icon_rolleyes.gif I think the OEM seals are better but these aren't super bad IMO. Pics might help you decide - lemme know.

i just painted a car for a friend and he ordered the precision kit from VB, all i can say it its JUNK.....

after carefully putting the dooor w/s in the f-ing doors would NOT close.. even with adjusting the striker.. and i had the doors all lined up perfect before this....well they closed- but the door didnt fit flush anywhere...... icon_mad.gif

same for front windshield. took 15 minutes just to put it on the glass and then i put it in and it fit terrible icon_eek.gif all the while i was complaining this stuff is junk..

and he didnt believe me .. just thought i was complaining cause it was being difficult..

so i got new NISSAN ones --front window went on in 5 minutes fit WAY better than teh other one, the door w/strips fit PERFECT and not a problem with the door lining up at all..

oh.. i can get new nisssan front w/strip for

$90 and the rear hatch glass is $100 (yes the rear hatch is the MOST expensive single piece of weatherstrip on the car..)

VB had no problem returning the precision kit... obviously they know its not the best..

Guest JAMIE T

Thanks guys for the posts. Mike, you've probably gotten my email by now. I'd like to get those seals for $90 and $100 each. Let me know the total with shipping and what form of payment is required. Thanks

Jamie

Deathstar

Heh, if anyone still wants the Precisions kit (I've got one and it's okay but..) then buy it straight from PRecision NOT VB. I bought i "on sale" from VB and when it arrived with "Precision" all over the bag I hunted down their WEB site. Yup, their REGULAR price was LESS than VB's "sale". I was pretty steamed to say the least. icon_mad.gif

As for doors - mine seem to be fine. (shrug) I've heard others say that you need to get the doors shut and then let the car sit awhile to compress them - but mine were fine. Rear hatch is another story, I had to section mine in about three places to get it to fit correctly in he corners. icon_sad.gif I've not put on most of the rubber actually - it was bought for another car and this one was in better shape but I can certainly say that what I HAVE put on has given mixed results.