HybridZ

COM port won't connect

2eighTZ4me

I can not get MegaTune to connect with my laptop. I ran the port checker, and it says I have COM1 and COM3 available. I've tried both those COM ports at every speed rate possible and still get a "No response" message when I click to test connectivity between the ECU and the laptop from within the MetaTune application. COM1 is the only port that shows up in Device Manager. It is in a good status and not in conflict with anything else. Do I need to get the serial to USB adapter cable for this to work?. I've got the v3.0 version of the MS board. Any tips on getting this to work with the serial cable would be great too.

I ran the HyperTerm test with the serial cable, - jumpered pins 2 and 3, and on COM1, I do receive output on the HyperTerm window. That checks out. The next step is rather confusing. It says;

"Jumper from pin 12 to pin 13 on the 40-pin processor socket [near R44], using a snipped-off component lead (i.e. the loose end from a resistor or capacitor, smaller is better to avoid damaging the socket). Be careful to count correctly to jumper the correct pins."

The 40pin processor socket (I'm assuming) is where you plug in the harness or stim board? I can't get any characters across the screen in HyperTerm when these two pins are jumpered. The manual then states to plug in the stim board. Kind of hard to do with a jumper across pins 12 and 13 - so I'm thinking I did something wrong here.

Also, when I plug in the stim board with a battery attached, the PMP light flashes on and off. Flashing stops when I pull it out of the ECU.

I would imagine the documentation is great if you're familiar with the product, but I'm not and it's rather confusing for a first timer.

To make matters worse, all the pictures of the board in the manual looks nothing like the board I have. i don't see the jumper for the bootloader either. It is a genuine B&G that I bought pre-assembled from DIY - maybe the manual has pics of the earlier board. Arrgh!! This is so confusing!!

When they say to jumper the pins on the 40 pin socket, they mean remove the processor chip and jumper the socket. That part of the instructions was intended to happen before the processor was plugged into the board. The only other simple thing is that two types of serial cables exist, crossove and straight through. Make sure you have the correct type for megasquirt (notice I didn't say which one is correct because I can't remember off hand, look in the manual).

Thanks Moby. I bought the serial cable from DIY Autotune when I bought the rest of the stuff. I'm feel certain it is the correct cable. I'm sure this is all so confusing because I haven't gotten my feet wet with this yet. Been reading like a fool - but I'm a hands-on person and need to see things for myself. Words only say so much.

I will also add that I bought the whole thing pre-assembled from DIY - as I'm a wiring idiot - so I'm glad I don't have to pull out the processor!!!

Edited by 2eighTZ4me

• 3 weeks later...

im going through the same problem right now. i HAD hyperterminal, it expired. but while i did with my v3.0

i set up com port 2 through HT and it showed it functioning properly. id hook it up to megatune and nothin.

i purchased a brand new v3.57 from diy and its doing the same thing. do you have to setup a new comport

for a different megasquirt ecu?