HybridZ

New paint

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

On my '79 280ZX the paint just started to chip and crack and bubble up. Any of you know how much it would cost to get it stripped down and repainted? I don't need a perfect finish, just a decent, fair paint job.

James, paint is "relative" territory. You could end up spending anywhere from $1000 on up to Pete Para$ka icon_razz.gif

Seriously, what you'll be happy with and how much it will cost does not have a definite answer. Sorry, but I don't think anyone except a body shop can answer your question, especially when you go into detail with them about what you want done and how it will look in the end. I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for." I think this applies to paint jobs in general. To make a car look brand new, with no body work involved, around here that runs about $4000 to $6000. The dealership had to fix paint flaws on some cars by fully painting the exteriors, and that's about what the bill was I believe.

Davy

Guest Anonymous

Hmm, so there really isn't a price on an average every day paint job, eh? Oh well, I think I may have to stick with the knife (to scrape the bad, chipped/bubbled paint off)and Dupli-Color for a while.

Ghetto laquer?!? Ha ha! That's really good--you're too funny, Lone!

BTW, have you seen that two part black paint--1st part with no clear looks like black primer, but is more durable, has a slight satin finish and is used on a lot of "rat rods?" Pretty cool if you ask me. I saw a Chevy V8 powered TR7 with a custom smoothed "wide body" that sported that paint job--looked very menacing.

Davy

quote:

Originally posted by DavyZ:

BTW, have you seen that two part black paint--1st part with no clear looks like black primer, but is more durable, has a slight satin finish and is used on a lot of "rat rods?" Pretty cool if you ask me. I saw a Chevy V8 powered TR7 with a custom smoothed "wide body" that sported that paint job--looked very menacing.

Like this?

epoxy3.jpg

If so, that's PPG Concept epoxy primer. It does look absolutely, undeniably bad ass, but I've been told that since it contains no UV stabilizers, it will turn chalky in a very short time when exposed to sunlight.

Man, I wish I could have left the car like this. In spite of the fact that in the Texas summer it would have been hotter inside than an EZ-Bake oven with a 100 watt bulb, it would have been soooooo evil looking!

RPMS,

I didn't realize that the paint became chalky after a while--bummer! The things i have to learn the hard way...

Owen, polyurethane paint is really tough, but it's also hard to rub out. I think that here in CA, most, if not all, of what you'll find is polyurethane or good old enamel. After reading some about this topic, it looks like polyurethane for me anyway.

Davy

Guest Anonymous

I don't know if they make it for cars, but do you think satin clear with UV protection would keep the paint from getting chalky? That paint would look killer on my '79 Z, and my uncle works at a bodyshop so I could probably get a discount when I get some cash to paint it icon_smile.gif

Guest Anonymous

That looks cool in that satin black. I always wanted to do GLOSS camoflague (sp?)(not on the Z!) on a Truck/Jeep. I mean you've seen regular camo, but how about glossy camo or Zebra strips in gloss would be cool too. icon_smile.gif

Paint on the Z..Aggg.. I'm not sure of even a color. I like that red that Ford and Chyrsler has used that looks like a deep candy apple red. Chyrsler also has a cool one that I'm not sure of the color's actual name, but its a medium blue color changer that goes to a amethyst (I believe thats the name actually, some sort of amethyst pearl coat they call it I believe) color. Oh well, by the time I'm ready for that, some even cooler colors will have happened. icon_smile.gif

Regards,

Lone

I haven't seen any topcoats that are matte finished, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. If someone knows of one, please, tell me!

What did they do for the hood scoops on musclecars in the '70's? And part of the hoods on the 1984-86 Mustang GT was flat black, IIRC. Someone must have a paint code for that somewhere, I'd think. But there's a big difference in appearance between flat and matte finishes. I think flat black would just look like cheap primer.