HybridZ

Not getting fuel on startup?

I just got my car running, it's a 1973 240z with the stock L24.

Basically almost every time I want to start my car after not driving it for a while (a few hours or a day) I have to prime the carbs with fuel, then it'll start right up. It'll run fine after that and even if I stop for 30 minutes or something it'll start back up again.

When I try and start it, first thing I do is floor it and then crank the engine over, usually I can hear it sputter once or twice and try to start, then it just cranks without any sputter.

Only once I was driving along and it died on me and wouldn't start again. I would prime the carbs and it would start and drive a block and die again when the fuel I put directly into the carbs burnt up.

After that happened I replaced the fuel filter and there was red gooey stuff clogged in there, possible rust? Anyways I drove it a few times since replacing it without issues.

I read that the car has both a mechanical and electric (inline) fuel pump. Well I looked under the car and the electric fuel pump was there but not actually hooked up (looped into itself and wire was cut). Since it's only running off the mechanical pump, might this be why?

I'm looking for input on which direction to go with to make it start everytime. (I could try to get a new inline electric fuel pump, or clean the mechanical one, etc)

-Thanks

Edited by GMMTC

If you don't start you car for a while, gas is most likely getting out of your carbs.

So to provide fuel to your carbs, you'll have to crank the engine to have the mech pump working. If I'm not mistaken that why you have a electrical pump on some versions with carbs.

Currently on my car, I have a electrical pump I turn on prior a start to fill the fuel lines. You might want to do the same if it bothers you to crank a little the engine prior a start (it would save the battery ;) )