HybridZ

How to get this look, and stregthen the body

Guest Zpeed

Guest Anonymous

On my early 260 I just removed the bumper shocks and all of the rubber from the front bumper. The bumper itself is in good cond. (little rust, but NO dents at all) and I'm going to re-attach it close to the body with some custom made mounts that will be mounted where the bumper shocks were mounted. It fits perfect in the recessed area below the headlight. Its the same postion as before but back several inches. IMO it looks 100% better. I'm going to get an airdam for underneath, but have not decided which one yet. With the car lowered a bit it should look sweet.

IMO its fairly easy to relocate the front bumber. I have heard of several people using the mounts that I removed, but after looking at diff ways to do it, my way will be easier for me. I already made one of the mounts and it will bolt straight on. The bigger problem may be finding a bumper that is usable for a decent price.

I'm not sure if the 260 (thin) bumper is the same as the 71-73. I'm sure someone knows.

Just my 2 cents.

tom

I know for a fact that the early 260 bumpers are not the same as the 240 bumpers that mounted up close to the body. From what I've gathered, one difference is the small bracket that is on the very ends of the inside of the bumper that holds it to the body. My 260 didn't have these brackets. I decompressed the shocks and pushed them in, within 1/8" of the body. I then put a small screw in the shock to keep it in place. Mounting the ends to the body was a challenge, since there isn't much room in there to hold anything in place while bolting it to the body. Acouple manifold washers and a stainless steel bolt and nylon nut on each side and I was home free. Hope it helps. I should have pics soon.

Guest super280z

Tom,

what year is your car? i have a 79 that i've been wanting to do the bumper swap for a while. just wondering if you had any other insight.

Quick question: How does one mount the 240 style bumper on the front of a 280 like the orange car's is?? Do the stock bolts simply line up or what? I have the same front setup as the orange car minus the little front bumper and that hole in the grill needs filling.

Pat