HybridZ

Heat "glow" material?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

If memory serves me correct, there are materials that will "light up" or kind of glow in dim light when in close proximity to heat levels typical of an hot L6 valve cover or engine block?

Would anybody know what materials will react this way?

Reason I ask is because I am working on some customizing ideas for a Z engine compartment and lighting "effects" are part of my intention.

Eric

SLEEK Z CONCEPTS

Guest Anonymous

As far as I can remember from my quantum physics classes, what you're asking for is pretty much theoretically impossible. The Temperatures involved are way too low to promote the electron excitation, and consequent photon emission that causes the glow you see. The only way I can see this happening is if there was some funky supercomplex organic dye that changed its absorption spectrum (color) with temperature, but I don't see that happening, and even if it did, I definitely don't see it being reversible. Then again I could be wrong... Anyone care to comment? icon_biggrin.gif

[ October 19, 2001: Message edited by: Omar ]

Guest Anonymous

I think his is thinking of the same coatings they use on temperature strips, mood rings, and stuff. Hey - you could make your valve cover change color in sections, and a quick glance and you know the temp of your motor icon_smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Omar:

The only way I can see this happening is if there was some funky supercomplex organic dye that changed its absorption spectrum (color) with temperature

[ October 19, 2001: Message edited by: Omar ]

Ever heard of a mood ring? Anyhow, I know you can find thermotropic liquid crystal paint to do that.

http://www.edmundscientific.com/Products/DisplayProduct.cfm?productid=583

I would tend to agree that the temperatures involved are not sufficient to make anything actually glow. If such a material does exist it is probably toxic and extremely expensive (like the rare-earth phosphors in the monitor you are reading this off of!)

Guest Anonymous

I worked for a chemical comopany that made protype squirt guns with a chemical in it. Whenever you squirted the water on a wall or something in the dark it would glow for a good 20-30 seconds. Neato stuff, they were a small company and never made it into production though :-(.