HybridZ

Floor pan repair

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey all - I read some of the posts and maybe you guys can help. I have a 67.5 Roadster (usually hang at the V6 tech site - installing a 3.8 carbed GN motor), and it has rusty floor boards. They aren't that bad, but has some small holes. Question - can I use POR 15 to stop rust/protect then fiberglass over them to straigthen the panel. New floors are not available and I really don't want to replace the WHOLE floor. Can I do the same on the rear fender? They have small holes. Thought about POR 15 in the inside, fiberglass for strength then touch of bondo to shape/fill.

Thanks for any help

Phil

• 2 months later...
Guest Anonymous

Hey guys - long time no posts. This is SPL311, but when my computer crashed and re-registered the SPL311 became just S - go figure.

Well, I decided to cut the old floor boards out and replace them. As I ground the rust out of the old boards I found many more holes - big ones! Sense I can't buy complete replacements I built mine from a 4ft X 12ft piece of 18 gage steel (15 bucks at the scrape yard). I added supports and primed them ready to be welded in. I should have them in this week. It has been fun cutting these out and shaping them. It will make the Roadster a lot stronger.

I have pictures on a picturetrail account. You will have to cut and paste - don't know how to add a link yet. It is at www.Picturetrail.com/SPL311

Try that and see if it works

Phil

[ October 17, 2001: Message edited by: S ]

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the nice comments!

OK, the pans are welded in. I welded a 1/4 bead every inch or so. I plan on using seam sealer, but should I put a continuous weld on the seam? I know it would not hurt, but it is a lot of welding. Is it worth the effort? Remember the Roadster has a seperate frame, so the body does not take much load.

Thanks

Phil

Guest Anonymous

I will answer my own question on putting a continueous weld around the floor pans.

Talked to a couple of body pros. Just spot weld as I have. With thin metal you have a good chance of "burn through" and this can cause the formation of a crack that will run the lenght of the weld. If a spot weld cracks - one weld lost in many is no problem. Make sense?

Next project is a smooth back panel and relocate the gas cap behind the cockpit and in front of the trunk - cobra style.

Have fun you all!

Phil