HybridZ

Comp Cam lobes wiped out!

Hi Guys, I was going to change out my clutch when I decided to pull the drivetrain and do a refresh on my motor, just in case. After all it has 12,000 miles and I do race it on the drag strip as well as on the road course. Now there was no smoke and it ran pretty strong, the only indication that I had a problem was what I thought was an igition miss on high RPM (5800 to 5900 rpm) The motor shop found 2 cam lobes wiped out! This is a Comp cams XR294HR hydraulic roller. Here are some pictures. I hope you guys and give me some clues as to what might I look for to prevent this from happening again.

post-194-1271374110298_thumb.jpg

post-194-12713741244596_thumb.jpg

post-194-12713741365334_thumb.jpg

high spring loads don,t play well with roller cams over long term use, heres a very clear example of why you should only use Billet cam cores with roller cams having over about 320 lbs of spring pressure and why you MUST verify valve train geometry and clearances.

wornrollercamlobe.jpg

wornrollercamlobe1.jpg

rollerlifter.jpg

billet cams are polished/machined between the lobes, and don,t look cast

billetcam.jpg

these are both cast core cams (look between the lobes) the dark surface is a flat tappet cam lobe coating, the polished is a roller cam

0705ch_08_z+camshaft_profiling+.jpg

Edited by grumpyvette

I have never seen that happen with a roller cam. In fact, I didn't know it was even possible without ruining the roller rocker to cause that to happen. What was your valve spring rate if you know? I am curious.

Davy

Just an update guys. My motor guy found the probable cause of the failure. We found that 2 of the valve springs lost tension. most if not all of the springs lost 10 to 20 lbs. They should have been in the 130lbs range for a 1.800 inch installed height. most were at 109 to 111 lbs and the 2 that failed were 86 and 87 lbs. We figured that the springs were letting the lifter pound the cam to death!!! The springs were the old style beehive blue stripped springs (26918)This was before the new updated replacement springs were avaiable. The new springs are suppose to handle 0.625 lifts and are stiffer than the old springs (375 lbs VS 313 lbs). I'm getting the new billet cam this friday. But it looks like I won't be able to make this weekends Motorsports BBQ! <_< And I paid for the dyno run too!!!

Edited by fastzcars