HybridZ

Pot Roast

kilten_one

This may sound crazy, but I have had one heck of a craving for pot roast for quite some time yet I cannot seem to find a single slow cooker pot roast that is worth it's salt. If any one has a pot roast recipe they would be willing to share I would be most grateful. Slow cooker ones are my preference as its something I can have as a meal before work but also leave in there until my shift is over (I'm stuck with short shifts due to jury duty this week)

Hmm, take a honking big lump of meat, I've variously used Mutton, Beef, Pork and Venison, big enough to fit in the slow cooker with 1" to spare on all sides (obviously not 1" off the bottom, unless you've found antigravity). Season it by mixing in a bowl 2 tablespoons standard flour, 2 tablespoons wholemeal or wheatmeal flour, 1 teaspoon salt, 2 teaspoons cracked peppercorns and a dessert spoon of mixed herbs. Take a teaspoon of whole cloves and whack them with a knife so they're around the size or the cracked pepper, add to the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. roll the meat in the dry ingredients to coat.

On a sizzling HOT skillet, brown all sides of the roast until nice and crispy, then dump the smoking result in the slow cooker on high and ignore until done.

Venison may be improved by slicing the rinds and the associated strips of fat off some fatty bacon, poking a ling filleting knife through the venison lump and using a bamboo skewer to poke them through the hunk of meat to provide some fattiness venison is too lean to have naturally.

The roast is done when a vigourous poke with a large spoon makes it fall apart.

Even a non-culinary barbarian like me can manage this :D

Edited by kiwi303

I like to get a nice burgundy spoon roast. I rub it down in sea salt and pepper corns and than blanch in the the oven for 40 minutes. I will add 1 cup of water to the crock pot and a beef boulin base and french onion base. Baby red taters carrots celery go in. Insert roast wait 6 hours and drool :)

Pot Roast is my go to because it makes so much and gives me leftovers for 2-3 lunches. I however do mine in the oven. Set at 225. Takes about 4 hours. Crockpot is just as good. I dont think I ever use recipes, I just eyeball things and use whatever I have.

Seasoning is just a quick blend of montreal steak seasoning, kosher salt, fresh-cracked pepper, and whatever else I have on hand like dried oregano/thyme/rosemary. I always use chuck roast...the other stuff like bottom round is always too tough and doesnt break down as nicely.

Take meat. Season all sides. Quick sear on a blazing hot pan on all sides. Deglaze pan with 14 oz can of beef broth. To provide more flavor and arromatics, I throw in carrots, celery, onions, minced garlic (2 cloves or so), baby red potatoes, and button mushrooms. Make sure each vegetable is of similar size after chopping. Be sure to season those veggies with salt and pepper as well and a drizzle of olive oil. Put most of those veggies in your crockpot or baking dish. Put your nicely seared roast on top of the veggies, put the remaining veggies around the roast, and pour in your broth that you just deglazed the pan with. Let the slow cooking begin.

Just remember, letting meat rest after cooking is a fundamental rule that should always be followed. For something like a 2 pound roast, I would wait 30 minutes before any cutting or eating is done. Usually, I take those 30 extra minutes to take whatever juices and leftover broth from the cooking process, and turn that into a quick gravy. Just mix about 2 tablespoons of floor with 4 table spoons of water to create a slurry, add the slurry to a small pot with the leftover cooking juices and bring to a boil. Give a taste and season as necessary and reduce to a simmer.

Sit down and enjoy flavor country.

Funny how this thread came up, cooking is just one of my 3 passions. Guitars, Cars, and cooking. All those things relax me like no one's business.

Definitely sear in a hot pan first. Some veggies are always good but at the least put some onions in, they really add to the flavor. One thing my dad does sometimes is use a packet of instant brown gravy mix and rub that on the roast for seasoning, might be worth a try.

Well when I host dinner parties, I wait and preheat the oven to 300 degrees, while I coat my pan with a tree root oil found in Northern Mongolia. I make flower arrangments for the table using imported flowers with little bamboo figurines in these cool vases I found while antiquing one weekend last May...oh wait..this is a car forum..I thought I was at Martha Stewart dot com.

I am a man and I BBQ the hell out of every piece of meat that comes my way! Extra beer and hot sauce!

Just yanking your chains guys, though I don't get that elaborate..My wife is quite the "Martha". I just follow instructions and then hide in the den with the guys at the first possible moment.

My wife makes a pretty amazing pot roast, which is also one of my favorite dishes :)

It goes something like this:

Take your meat of choice (beef here) and brown/sear all sides in a pan or Dutch oven after oiling the pan and salt & peppering meat first (and any herbs or spices you want: majoram, thyme, dried parsley, etc.)

After meat is seared well on all sides, getting a nice carmelization, remove from pot and lower heat to medium and then saute one sliced onion (and garlic if you like :D ) in that pot. After onions are soft, deglaze pan with 1/2 cup or so of red wine. Return meat to pot and then fill pot with brazing liquid up to 1/2 the height of the meat. Brazing liquid, can be low sodium beef broth, beef broth + tomato sauce, etc.

Now transfer pot to 350 degree oven and let sit for 3 hours (depending on size of roast). Half way though the cooking time, add any veggies that you like: carrots, celery, parsnips, potatoes, etc.

You'll know when the roast is ready, it will not be tough any longer, but will pull apart easily. After everything is finished cooking, transfer meat & veggies to platter and cover to keep warm. Make a gravy from remaining brazing liquid by bringing to a boil and adding a mixture of 1/2 cup milk and 2-3 TBS flour. Wisk as you SLOWLY pour in flour to avoid lumps. Then, add seasoning to taste, pour through sieve to get rid of the lumps you made by not following my directions.

Good luck.

Davy

This is a very simple recipe that uses 3 ingredients. It might sound a little strange, but try it, you will not be disappointed!

1. 1 inexspensive beef roast, not too much fat

2. 1 can of Campbells cream of mushroom soup

3. 1 pack of Liptons beefy onion soup mix

Put the soup and mix into your crockpot and stir and heat until they incorporate.

Place the meat into the crockpot, making sure to coat all sides with the mixture.

Let it rip on low for at least 10, preferably 12 hours.

The result is a most tender, flavorful, roast that you will enjoy!

The resulting gray is great on rice, along with the meat, mashed potatoes are good also with the gravy.

Let me know if you try it and what you think.

Jason