HybridZ

I got the pin out!

thrustnut

Just wanted to share my success story. My wife was... not so interested, so thought I would share with people who might be, or can at least use the info to help themselves. I recently installed a 3.90 rear end in my 77 280 and got bit by the "while I'm at it" bug, so I decided it would be a good time to put all poly bushings on my lower control arms. We all know this means pulling the spindle pins, and after much reading, I was less then confident. I bought a pin puller from a member on here, which worked great on the right side which came apart no problem. I then moved to the left and in short order, broke my puller. The member was kind enough to send me a new all thread, and after two days of repeated Kroil coatings, heat application and slow turning... I moved the pin about half an inch and broke another puller. So I pulled the whole left rear corner suspension out of the car, brought it to work and cut the pin where the LCA and spindle connect. The pieces slid right out of the LCA (which I thought they would) then it was on to the Kroil bath. I soaked that pin for about a week and a half in a tub with the pin completely submerged in Kroil. When I pulled the spindle out of the tub yesterday, the Kroil had crept about half way up the lower casting.. it was actually wet not just darkened. Anyway, I drilled one end out about six inches down the pin with a bit just smaller then the pin to help release some tension on the pin and to give me a nice place to drive from. I then proceeded to knocked the CRAP out of it with a 3x air hammer (with a shop size air compressor backing it up @90psi) and a valve guide removal bit... it took a couple seconds, then started to slowly push out. So, after a week and a half of worry, the pin is out and I have all the new parts to get the arm back together and after about two months on jacks, take the Z out and try out my 3.90. I live in the Great North West... so that's weather permitting of course. So, in short it is possible, all you need is a hack saw, cut off wheel, torch, air hammer, drill, and about a can and a half or Kroil.

I recently got mine out as well. I ended up completely submerging mine in PB Blaster for 4 days or so and then beating them out with some 1/2" bolts and a hammer (this was after cutting them between the LCA and strut housing with a recip saw)

It was a more triumphant feeling than when I first got my car up on my homemade rotisserie.

Man, All I had to do was use a sledge, a vise grip, and a bolt. I Just tapped the housing to loose it up then I pounded on the pin for a while, took a vise grip turned it side to side, kept hammering, then took a long bolt and hammered it all the way out. I didn't even have to use any lubricant and my car had sat for almost 11 years and came from Missouri. :blink:

When the right side came out so easy I was thinking to myself "I don't get what the big deal is... these come out pretty easy." What's crazy is how a car can have all stock parts, installed at the same time (1977) and have one pin pretty clean with just minor corrosion and the other so corroded it was seized. I don't think it's close enough to the exhaust to make any difference. Getting that pin out ranks up there with hearing the engine start for the first time in five years.

BTW, I tried the sledge method with it installed in the car and ended up mushrooming the end of the pin so bad it wouldn't fit through the hole anymore. Should have taken some pictures, the pin was compleatly covered in rust.

Edited by thrustnut

When the right side came out so easy I was thinking to myself "I don't get what the big deal is... these come out pretty easy." What's crazy is how a car can have all stock parts, installed at the same time (1977) and have one pin pretty clean with just minor corrosion and the other so corroded it was seized. I don't think it's close enough to the exhaust to make any difference. Getting that pin out ranks up there with hearing the engine start for the first time in five years.

BTW, I tried the sledge method with it installed in the car and ended up mushrooming the end of the pin so bad it wouldn't fit through the hole anymore. Should have taken some pictures, the pin was compleatly covered in rust.

I think throughout the life of our cars some previous owner replaces the spindle pin or something because The left side came out easier then the one on the right side on my car. My pin mushroomed out too but since it gave enough it didn't mushroom to bad.

• 2 weeks later...