HybridZ

"Crinkle" paint???

jimzdat

Anybody know of a source for the "crinkle" finish that you see on valve covers and stuff like that? I've tried searching online, but all that comes up is wallpaper places icon_confused.gif

I'm not even sure if this is a paint product or some sort of powdercoating type process, so anybody who knows more about it than me please chime in

Thanks,

Jim

Guest Anonymous

My friend got that effect by accident spray painting his bumper, I read more on it later....

It happens when the paint dries too fast, it shrinks and cracks, where if it dries slowly, it allows the paint to spread out evenly, and not crack... so any heat source will give you tis effect.

I read about it on a site for making guitar distortion pedals (got to have that rock and roll sound flamedevil.gif ) who got that effect several times by taking the metal boxes, spray painting them, then putting them in an oven... My friend got it by blow drying his bumper trying to get the damn thing to dry... icon_smile.gif impatient <Help, I'm being choked>

Anyways, I think you might get more search results if you search for wrinkle paint, this was suggested by the friend who both painted the bumper and choked me icon_smile.gif

Hope this helps,

Kris

Guest Anonymous

Its actually both. There is a aerosol can crinkle paint, I've used it before. Seems like I got it at your auto store or the like. You spray it on and it curls up and crinkles. Only downside at least in the pieces I did is they don't wear real well. If its not going to get touched, then it looks great. For car parts though, I didn't have good luck with it, I did an old chrysler wedge valve covers in it and they did'nt last.

The same finish is available in a a much more durable form in powder coat. The cases on my Harley are black wrinkle powder coat from The Factory and they look awesome. (IMHO)

Regards,

Lone

Thanks, guys--I was afraid of the durability of a paint--Lone, I think you may be right about a powdercoat--that stuff should last forever if done right. I picked up a set of old Mickey Thompson valve covers for my truck--just trying to think of the best way to refinish them.

Now to try and find a decent powdercoating shop in West BFE Tennessee icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks,

Jim

Hey Jimbo,

Eastwood sells the wrinkle black in an spray can, slightly more expensive. You can also buy the spray can stuff thru most Pep-Boys or JCWhitney. I've used both from Pep-Boys & Eastwood & have found no difference in the quality of the paint.

The trick to making it work is the prep work. Both times I used the stuff (on Valve Covers) I'ld sand blast them, then used a metal prep from Eastwood & then used the black wrinkle spray paint. Worked great both times & lasted.

Follow the directions on the back of the can to the letter. Instead of using a hair dryer I used a heat gun on high (much hotter than a hair dryer).

BTW: I also have Eastwood's Powder Coat system & used it on the last V8 engine I did. Of all the dozen or so parts I powder coated only one of the parts has a few minor rust spots showing thru while all the other parts still look great.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)