HybridZ

Body work update

Dan Juday

Well, I've got the whole front-end bolted back together. Very few of the parts are original and fitting all those body parts (11!) was a real pain. I've done the best I can do. The bodyman will have to massage all the seems and gaps.

For those not familiar with this project, I'm fitting SubtleZ front fenders with the ends of the SubtleZ airdam to the MSA exclusive airdam to a 280 vented hood. One more odd twist, My car had one plastic and one metal headlight cone. I traded my metal cone for another plastic one. All the seems and gaps forward of the front wheels will be filled and smoothed out. The good news is that the JTR hood latch bracket works perfectly. I only wish the front of the hood lined up as well as the back. Some original parts, some new parts, some used parts. Nothing wants to line up very well.

A warning to anyone wanting to fit fiberglass fenders with a stock metal hood: The extra thickness of the fiberglass, 1/8" min., takes up the space of the gap that should be between the two. Trust me, I've considered shelling out for the SubtleZ hood several times. You just trim it to fit. Can't do that with the metal one. I don't even want to describe to you how I "recovered" the gap. Yes, it resembles that other euphemism "clearancing". icon_sad.gif

I know, I know, "When do we see some pics?" Well, not soon. Maybe after Christmas. These would be in Display 4. Eric still has to get up Display 3, "The Gas Cap Fiasco". It does look tough though, icon_cool.gif if you can look past the rough. confused2.gif One day, when it's ALL Viper Blue, it'll be worth it.

My fenders are stock style replacements so maybe that is why they fit fine on mine. I was warned by John Washington about going with the entire kit and not just parts of it since they are all made to fit together......I gues he was right. I am thinking of flaring my fenders and 1/4's to get 9 inchers all around. Is that the reason you are kitting yours??? Did you consider the Cal. Z kit as well before you bought yours? I am just looking for options before my 260 gets cut up again!!!! Looks like yours is coming together nicely flamedevil.gif . Good luck on the rest!

Hey Drew, when I started planning this car I knew I wanted bulgy fenders on it. I just started looking around the net at what was available. I don't really care for the scoops and slots in a lot of the other kits. When I saw the pics of the 280YZ I fell in love. Smooth, supple curves and bulges. Lots of room for big donuts. I planned to graft the stock headlight buckets into the YZ front fenders. I took trip to AZ to see how I could do it. In the end it just wasn't going to be very feasible. The shape of the YZ, although it looks very similar, is way different. The SubtleZ fronts, while very attractive, were a compromise. I really wanted a look that is, well, not so subtle. These things tend to grow on you though and I think I'm going to like the finished product.

Davy, e-mail me. We'll have to schedule something. BTW, have you found that perfect job yet?

Len, I don't know what you are talking about. ugg.gif That's probably me showing my age. Or you drinking too much beer. icon_biggrin.gif

I am going for the 940Z look.....hidden headlights in the grille with smoothed over headlight buckets. Thanks to Terry I am in the process of remolding the fiberglass buckets to hide the holes for the lights. I am going to use 91 cutlass supreme headlights under the leading edge of the hood and remove 1 line from the grille so the light has a clear path. I have a spare straight grille to do this so my minty one will stay untouched for further Z purchases......1 Z is never enough you know malebitchslap.gif