HybridZ

The Ultimate HID Headlight Upgrade - 280ZX version!

I posted how to do an HID upgrade on my 240Z ( http://forums.hybrid...e-the-easy-way/ ) and after driving around with HIDs in the 240Z and 370Z it was a no brainer to do the same to the 280ZX. The install itself is fairly straight forward. I use the same H4 housing since they provide excellent cut off to prevent blinding oncoming traffic. I opted to try out the cheapo China lights as they look to be identical to the Philips designed ballast at a fraction of the price - so far so good and I run with my lights on pretty much whenever I'm driving.

The issue with the 280ZX, however, is the system fault light on the dash. Without drawing current through both headlights you'll get an error on your dash warning you your headlights are out. You could bypass this by adding resistors to draw enough current to get the sensors to pass. I chose instead to figure out how the sensor for the headlights work and modify it to give tell the system fault detector that everything is OK.

Here is a picture of the head light detection circuit. It is right beside the radiator overflow resevoir NOTE: I bead blasted and painted mine black - stock is golden colour (cad plated). Simply remove the two mounting screws and unplug the harness from the bottom. You can also see where I mounted the relay for the HID harness and the fuse going to the positive terminal on the battery

post-6495-12731065395629_thumb.jpg

Once the head light detection circuit is removed take the four screws on the top off and open the unit. You can see they use a coil which current passes through when the head light is on. The circuit is duplicated twice on the PCB - one for each head light. This switches a little reed switch (magnetic) on to tell the system that the lights are working. You can see the reed switch inside the coil.

post-6495-12731065422052_thumb.jpg

To fake the circuit out we simply short the reed switch so that the detection circuitry thinks there is current flowing through the lights and everything is working fine. I just used part of a resistor lead to make a jumper but you can use a piece of wire, etc.

post-6495-12731065482742_thumb.jpg

Edited by FricFrac

You did it again Kurk! This should help out lots of the 280ZX guys. I'm using your 240Z method within a few weeks. I got all the parts. cool.gif

Lol - its hard to find something that hasn't already been figured out already here on the forums :) Good luck with your lights - let me know if you need any help! I had the 240Z out last night and its awesome not having to worry about if you can see at night or not.