HybridZ

Seat rails attached to cage

Alright, so this question has been burning in the back of my mind, since me and my brother built the car. The guy who put the cage in back in the 80's ran two tubes connecting the rocker bars together, for seat mounts. Now one seat mount is bent to go over the trans tunnel and the other is strait and goes through it. My question is, would the seat mounts survive any real crash? or would they just fold? as there is no lower chassis brace in that area minus the stock floors and firewall, but the frame is stitch welded to the floors and have some serious subframe connectors, if it makes any difference.

DSC_3488.jpg

they're probably stronger than the stock seat mounts though right? They look a little obtrusive though, weird. Theoretically they would design that part of the car to be a rigid zone anyway so it's the last thing that would wanna crunch on you in an accident. Since the roll cage is all rigid it's gotta crunch somewhere, but it would take quite an impact. If it does get squeezed I suppose it would take the seat rails with it since they are integral. On the other hand, with the stock seat rails even if the rest of the structure stays rigid in that area the crunching roll cage is still gonna give you a bad time.

they're probably stronger than the stock seat mounts though right? They look a little obtrusive though, weird. Theoretically they would design that part of the car to be a rigid zone anyway so it's the last thing that would wanna crunch on you in an accident. Since the roll cage is all rigid it's gotta crunch somewhere, but it would take quite an impact. If it does get squeezed I suppose it would take the seat rails with it since they are integral. On the other hand, with the stock seat rails even if the rest of the structure stays rigid in that area the crunching roll cage is still gonna give you a bad time.

apparently, they did something along the same lines stock. The car was obviously built to take mostly front and rear crashes, as it was driven on the street for some years, with full functioning doors, radio, power windows, mirrors, lights..etc (even has a glove box) so I'm sure they must have put some thought into side impact protection. and would have thought of that. It's looking like I'm gonna have to add a couple support bars underneath, when I "x" the rear down tubes and add door bars.

seatmounts.jpg