HybridZ

Peeling Paint!!

deMideon

I recently bought a 280Z that is completely dissasembled. It was dipped and repainted. Unfortunately I don't know how or what was done to it. When I got it I saw a few spots of peeling paint on the interior and engine compartment. Turns out the just about everywhere there is a bend the paint has lifted. So I am going over all of it with a scraper to see where the lifted spots are. I guess I have quite a few questions, but here's the first few. This was done at least a year ago, as there is surface rust under the peeling paint. The first question is can this continue? Will the paint keep peeling? I am thinking the appropriate thing to do is strip all of it off and repaint. The problem is there is no suspension in it yet. So I can't move it. What is a good stripper to use that I don't need to wash off? I seem to remember that there are a few that strip, then dry up and are easy to scrape off and vacuum up. I hope so! Thanks!

Guest tom sixbey

demidion, the problem is - unfortunately that the car was dipped - that is, if you were implying that the chassis was first dipped into an acid bath and then repainted. Many restorers will stay away from this tactic because the acid solution will seep into every crevice in the chassis and leak out later (eating away at the paint... if this is the case, as long as the acid solution is seeping out of cracks, it will peel up any new paint you lay down.. dont worry about it too much. - if this is the case, you'll probably have to touch up a few spots every once in a while.

another possibility is that they didnt prep the car correctly before they shot the paint.. a lot of times people get lazy with the sanding in tight spots and skimp out in those places - hence the paint not wanting to stick in curved or bent places...

If the car is still a bare chassis, it might not be a bad idea to repaint, but if you do, be sure to drain the framerails and clean up any spots that may have acidic residure left over from the chassis dipping....

good luck pal

Guest Anonymous

DEMIDION-PAINT PROBLEM

BEING A ASE CERTIFED PAINTER, I CAN GIVE A FEX

SUGGESTIONS WITH YOUR PROBLEM. IN YOUR CASE, I

WOULD RECOMMEND THAT YOU STRIP THE WHOLE CAR. THIS PROCESS IS USUALLY DONE BY TWO METHODS-1

PAINT REMOVER 2-SAND (VIBRATE SAND) THE PAINT

OFF. THERE IS ALSO BEST METHOD IF AVAILABLE IN

YOUR AREA-BAKING SODA BLASTING. PAINT REMOVER CAN

MESSY AND PRODUCES TOXIC FUMES. ALSO YOU MUST BE

SURE TO GET RID OF ALL THE REMOVER-OTHERWISE IT

WILL PEEL YOUR NEW PAINT. VIBRATING SANDING REQUIRES ALOT OF MANUAL LABOR AND TONS OF SANDPAPER. SOME PEOPLE USE BOTH METHODS ON THE

SAME JOB. SODA BLASTING IS USED ON MILITARY

AIRCRAFT AND ENVIRONMENTLY FRIENDLY. ASK ANYBODY

YOU CAN FIND AND ASK QUESTIONS-THEN DECIDE WHICH

METHOD IS FOR YOU.

ALOHA.

SUNNY

you can get aircraft paint remover, that will take ANYTHING off. DavyZ introduced me to a product called "PEELER" which you basically spray on a clean grease free surface, wait 10 minutes, and brush it off with a parts cleaning brush or blast it off with compressed air (not PC can cleaner though icon_smile.gif )

works very well, we stripped my strut housings off factory paint this way

Guest Anonymous

TOM SIXLEY-PEELING PAINT

THE ONLY EFFECTIVE WAY TO REMOVE AUTOMOTIVE UNDERSEAL IS HEATING AND SCRAPING IT OFF. MOST

BLAST METHODS ARE NOT EFFECTIVE AS THE UNDERSAEL

WILL SOFTEN AND ONLY SMEAR WHEN BLASTED. WITH SAND BLSTING. THE SAND WILL ONLY BOUNCE OFF THE

UNDERSEAL. MAYBE SOMEONE OUT THERE, KNOWS OF A

GOOD AND EASIER WAY TO REMOVE UNDERSEAL.

SUNNY

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

TOM SIXBY-HEAT GUN

HEAVY DUTY ELECTRIC HEAT GUN PRODUCES 500 TO

1000 DEGREES HEAT. ELECTRIC HEAT GUN IS SAFER

THAN FLAME TORCHES BECUASE OF THE FIRE HAZARD.

TORCHES ARE FASTER BUT EXTREME CARE MUST BE USED.

UNDERSEAL WILL CATCH ON FIRE IF YOU NOT CAREFUL.

I FOUND IT BEST TO JUST HEAT UNDERSEAL TO SOFTEN

IT THEN SCRAPE SECTIONS OF IT OFF (LIKE PEELING

A ORANGE).

ALOHA,

SUNNY

Sunny, you mentioned baking soda blasting above---do you have any idea if the baking soda (I'm assuming the Arm & Hammer type stuff my wife uses in the kitchen) can be used like normal media in a blast cabinet? I would think not, but I'm dreaming here, so humor me. I would love to use something like it for the ease of availability and the enviromental friendliness of the material. Thanks.

Davy

Guest Anonymous

DAVYZ=SODA BLSTING

SODA BLASTING REQUIRES SPECIAL EQUIPMENT

WHICH IS BEYOND THE HOME PROJECT SITUATION.

CHECK INDUSTRIAL SECTION OF YOUR LOCAL YELLOW

PAGES. CALIFORNIA SHOULD HAVE SEVERAL PLACES

THAT CAN DO SODA BLASTING. I TALK TO ONE AT THE

SEMA SHOW IN VEGAS BUT CAN'T REMEMBER COMPANY

NAME ETC.

ALOHA,

SUNNY

• 4 weeks later...

RacerX,

Thanks for the info--I had not thought of that--kinda like a steam/high pressure system? Pretty cool. My wife really wants a steamer (like the ones advertised on those infomercials) and I hope to have the cash to get her one this year. I figure I can use it for car parts and anythign else I darn well desire! Heh heh, I may even clean a tiolet or two! icon_biggrin.gif

Davy

Guest Anonymous

DavyZ:

The company that I work for owns a fleet of big rigs and we just happen to have one of those high powered pressure washer/steam cleaners. They have it rigged up with a soap solution as well.

I towed my 260 over one day and opened up on it. The water actually removed old paint and took the finish down to the factory paint. I plan on taking the car back, put it up on my rotisserie, and get at the underside.

Just wanted to give you what little experience I have on this subject.

Craig,

That's pretty cool! Unless you didn't want to take the paint off...

At an automobile dealership I worked at, we had a steam/power sprayer that was super for taking grease & grime off of engine bays, etc. They even used it to wash cars with! On occasion, an employee would hold the nozzle too close to the plastic bumper on a brand new Volvo...the paint would just come right off; ewww, ouch, it gets mighty expensive doing that...

Davy

Guest Anonymous

I agree; paint removal is only good when desired. It would be tough to remove any solid paint job with that washer but the paint I removed was a bad coat or two over the stock stuff. Still, it is nice to have that kind of cleaning power.