HybridZ

Polishing front bumper?

Just picked up a '72 bumper in fairly good condition. Few dings here and there, and the chrome could be in better shape. Small amounts of surface rust here and there.

Overall it is a nice piece, but I'd like to fix it up a bit more. From what I can find out, re-chroming looks to be about $200 or so.

I thought instead, I might sand/grind it down and try polishing it myself. I've done some smaller things, but still getting the hang of it. Will the metal used for the bumper even be able to pull out a nice shine?

Apparently nothing came up on a search, so perhaps there's a reason no one has done it much.

Edited by Globerunner513

Just picked up a '72 bumper in fairly good condition. Few dings here and there, and the chrome could be in better shape. Small amounts of surface rust here and there.

Overall it is a nice piece, but I'd like to fix it up a bit more. From what I can find out, re-chroming looks to be about $200 or so.

I thought instead, I might sand/grind it down and try polishing it myself. I've done some smaller things, but still getting the hang of it. Will the metal used for the bumper even be able to pull out a nice shine?

Apparently nothing came up on a search, so perhaps there's a reason no one has done it much.

All you can really do is polish the surface that is there to remove very light scratches. If you have a paint buffer try some medium compound or swirl remover. It will shine it up and remove very fine scratches and it might get rid of some rust staining, but it wont fix it. Don't use anything more adrasive than compound on it though.